Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
wa15
Veteran
Liked: 25 times

Why is this backup copy job keeping more restore points than it should?

Post by wa15 »

I created this backup copy job on 1/4 with the following settings:

To copy every 1 day. Keep 3 restore points. GFS is set to 1 weekly backup and 24 monthly backups and 0 for quarterly and yearly backup. It is NOT set to read entire restore point from source backup.

When I look at the retention points on disk, I see:

1. I think I understand why the 1/5 restore point is that. That's the 1 weekly backup, which will then be turned into monthly. Correct?
2. What are the 1/8 6:11PM and 6:16 PM full restore points for? I would expect to see just the 1/5 WM VBK, then the 1/6 VBK followed by 2 VIBs on 10/7 and 10/8 to fulfill the "3 restore points to keep".
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2880 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Why is this backup copy job keeping more restore points than it should?

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
I assume that the additional restore points exist because "active full" was used. The first 3 regular backups are around 1am. So I assume your schedule is at night. All the restore points from 6pm cannot really be from that automatic schedule.

yes, the 1/5 is your weekly / monthly restore point (see the W and M in the retention column)

You can use this link to simulate how it should be (use the "manual run" button)

As I don't believe in a bug for BCJ retention... if the answer above does not help, please contact support and they can check the logfiles what really happened (and post the case number here for reference).

Best regards,
Hannes
wa15
Veteran
Liked: 25 times

Re: Why is this backup copy job keeping more restore points than it should?

Post by wa15 »

Thanks Hannes. Looking at the logs, you are correct.