Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
ejenner
Veteran
Liked: 100 times
Full Name: EJ

feature request - maintenance calendar

Post by ejenner »

Not sure if there is a tool for doing this already... but if you want to balance your backup file maintenance so the tasks are spread evenly across your repositories it would be handy to have a calendar so you can see when maintenance is scheduled on different dates.

I think at the moment it's something I've overlooked and I have maintenance occurring on my backup files on the last Friday of the month for hundreds of jobs. :roll:

I'm going to go through and change them now to spread the load out. But doing it using Excel and just wondered if it would be easier in the future if some tool was available to help see where maintenance is scheduled across the entire database.
lando_uk
Veteran
Liked: 32 times
Full Name: Mark

Re: feature request - maintenance calendar

Post by lando_uk »

I second this. I also have xls listing when my maintenance/compression jobs occur across 20 jobs, its not very practical.
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Post by Shestakov »

Hello,
Have you checked Veeam ONE heatmaps?
Looks like it does what you are looking for.
Thanks
ejenner
Veteran

Post by ejenner »

I tried Veeam ONE a couple of years ago and didn't like it. Also, people have said in the past that offering half a solution in one product and the other half of the solution in another product is something they didn't understand... I tend to agree.

It's fair to say, you can work around this. I can export a list of jobs from Veeam Enterprise Manager, then add a new column for the setting I wish to analyse and then manually open the properties of each job and record on the spreadsheet the parameter I'm investigating. The problem is that it's slow and quite clearly something which could be achieved through enhanced product functionality if there was the will to include it.
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

Consider Veeam Availability Suite as a solution that contains VBR and ONE.
Anyway, now there is a community edition of Veeam ONE which includes the feature. So you can give it another try.
By the way, what was wrong with Veeam ONE a couple of years ago?
Thanks
ejenner
Veteran

Post by ejenner »

In fact, thinking about it... having a calendar which could display any time configured parameter (tick boxes to filter) could help to visualize all scheduled tasks. I have another spreadsheet which documents my tape backup schedule.
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

Calendar is a useful tool, but the heatmaps also show you how busy with backup activity each proxy and repository server during the day and which jobs utilize them most so you can reconfigure the jobs or add more proxy/repo resources.