Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
scel_sean
Novice
Liked: never

Feature Requests

Post by scel_sean »

2 Feature Requests (or clarification on how to do it)

Our previous backup software during the export to PST allowed you to specify the size limit of each file, in our case 4GB so we could burn to disc if necessary. Can't find that ability in Veeam.

Second, previous backup solution, had the option to show all deleted items it "knew" about regardless of deletion time and/or backup job time so long as they hadn't been purged. For example, Folder with 4 items, 1 file is deleted 7 months ago, 1 file is deleted 2 months ago, 1 deleted today, with a 6 month retention. Jobs have ran normally including fulls and incrementals during that time. If I went to restore and had the option selected, I would see the in place file and 2 others (2 month and 1 day old) both with deleted symbol. The 7 month old would have been purged already so it is lost. This allowed us to recover files that disappeared at an unknown time, as opposed an items state at a point in time.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Feature Requests

Post by Dima P. »

Hello scel_sean,

Thank you for sharing your requests!
Our previous backup software during the export to PST allowed you to specify the size limit of each file, in our case 4GB so we could burn to disc if necessary. Can't find that ability in Veeam.
Can you please clarify what exactly you are exporting to PST? I assume you are performing the restore via Veeam Explorer for Exchange, is that correct?
If I went to restore and had the option selected, I would see the in place file and 2 others (2 month and 1 day old) both with deleted symbol.
Did I get it right: you would like to see the deletion date of the file in the backup browser while you are performing file level recovery? Cheers!
scel_sean
Novice

Post by scel_sean »

- Correct, Exchange mailbox level backup, restoring using Veeam Explorer, right clicking export to PST.

- Not exactly, based on what I can see you have to browse to a point in time to restore the files. If that point in time of deletion is unknown, or there are multiple files deleted at multiple times you'd have to do multiple restores or multiple browses. The previous software allowed you to restore any/all files still in backup repository, regardless of deletion time or backup time. If they existed in folder XYZ and you did a browse to folder XYZ, any files that were backed up at any point in time, regardless of if they were still present, and regardless of when they were deleted, were displayed. If they did not still exist, they showed with a delete symbol only to symbolize that they no longer existed and had been deleted.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

scel_sean,
Correct, Exchange mailbox level backup, restoring using Veeam Explorer, right clicking export to PST.
Passed this feedback to the corresponding team, thank you!
allowed you to restore any/all files still in backup repository, regardless of deletion time or backup time.
So basically you want to browse the history of the folder without selecting the restore point (with file versions and file modifications being displayed)? Cheers!
scel_sean
Novice

Post by scel_sean »

Don't necessarily need file versions, but it does have that ability to. You can browse and then right click and show all versions of said file. But yes, I think you have the gist of the idea, browsing to a folder and selecting something to the effect of "show deleted files" will show any/all available files that can be restored, regardless of backup time, so long as they still exist in the backup's system and not purged.
scel_sean
Novice

Post by scel_sean »

Can you post pictures in here? If so I can't see how, might be easier to give an example of what I'm looking for as opposed to trying to describe
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Thanks! Similar functionality will be implemented for file level recovery to support nas backup functionalty in v10, but please keep in mind that it will support backups made with nas backup jobs only.

As for screenshots - upload picture to any sharing service and post a direct link. Cheers!