Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
biolippe
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Christoph

Backup 76TB to tape

Post by biolippe »

Hi all,

I want to ask you how I can speed up my backup to tape. The last backup of 76TB took about 117 hours. To my environment: The Veeam Database server is a virtual machine and we are using two HPE Gen10 hardwareserver as repository with Midrange 8TB SAS HDDs. To each repository server one LTO8 tape drive is connected via fibre channel. Ware are using LTO8 tapes. The repo servers are on server 2019 with ReFS. The source backup jobs are all forward incremental. The tape job is set to parallel processing on tape.
The average speed is about 90MB/s. Maximum is 540MB/s, minimum is 12MB/s. Bottleneck is Source with 93%

Thanks for suggestions!
mkretzer
Veeam Legend
Liked: 387 times

Re: Backup 76TB to tape

Post by mkretzer »

Simplest way is to get Veeam to finally implement multiple streams (sorry) to a single drive! We have a entry level enterprise system as repo with 192 disks still tape performance is limited by the latency of a few disk in that array because it basically only uses one read stream.... The disk systems pushes > 2 GB/s multi-stream yet the tape is never our bottleneck....