Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Rinkglen
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: David Fitzpatrick

Installing Veeam with a Dell DR6300

Post by Rinkglen »

Hello,

We have just purchased Veeam and are about to instal it in our environment. I was hoping to get some feedback on your experiences and the best way to configure the install.

So our environment is primarily vCenter 6.5 with 10 hosts and 30 VM's, we also have 4 Physical installs, we are running a 10Gbps network. Most of the VM's are Windows 2012R2 or 20016 but we do have 2 Linux Redhat servers. Backup server/storage we have a Dell DR6300.

So my question is has anyone setup an environment like this and what tips do you have for me before we start the installation.
How are we best of settup up Veeam as a physical or virtual install?
What is the fastest and best way to configure the shared drives/storage?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Regards
David
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2877 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Installing Veeam with a Dell DR6300

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
and welcome to the forums.

As it seems you never worked with Veeam before, I recommend the quick start guide https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... l?ver=95u4

My recommendations
- RAID 6 (or any other double parity "RAID")
- Windows Server 2019 or at least 2016 with REFS as repository directly on the server
- Windows not in domain to prevent that a virus with domain admin credentials encrypt your backups
- keep the default settings
- as you only have 30 VMs and 10 GBit... no matter what you do, it will work :-)
- think about a copy destination to meet the 3-2-1 rule

Best regards,
Hannes
Rinkglen
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: David Fitzpatrick

Re: Installing Veeam with a Dell DR6300

Post by Rinkglen »

Hannes,

Thanks for the information. I have been reading through the Start Guide and I have also found a Guide from Dell that talks about setting up Veeam with the DR6300. We have been using StorageCraft and I had it configured exactly as you recommended with an overnight sync to a server on another site through our MPLS network. The only thing we had configured differently was it was configure as a Raid 10 since the DR6300 has 72TB storage which is more than adequate for our requirements.

Regards

David