Solero
Service Provider
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Solero

Inactive Datastore

Post by Solero »

Hello everybody

I have a small problem:

I run “Veeam Backup & Replication 5.0.2.230 64bit” in a Windows Server 2008 R2 running in a VM. I can run backups VMs without problems, but when I want to browse the data store in the “VEEAM Backup and Replication” application I get the error “Inactive Datastore ‘DS01’”. With this error I can’t create a virtual Lab.

I searched for this error, but didn’t get an answer.

Thank you for your help.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: Inactive Datastore

Post by Gostev »

Hell Patrice, what is your vSphere version? Thanks.
Solero
Service Provider
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Solero

Post by Solero »

Hi Gostev

I use vSphere 5. Thanks
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

vSphere 5 is not currently supported. We are waiting for RTM code to become available to perform full testing against it. It sounds like you just found some issue with our product and vSphere 5 build you have in possession. This issue may or may not be present in RTM code though. Thanks.
acdsm
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Arnaldo Cabral

Post by acdsm »

Let me know when you get this resolved, I'm upgrading a new build I just setup to 5.0 and would like to have this working before the upgrade as a backup.

PS: Licensed ESXi host to ESXi host seems to not show this error.
lohelle
Service Provider
Liked: 15 times
Full Name: Lars O Helle

Post by lohelle »

A customer of mine have upgraded to Vsphere 5 and all replication jobs failed. Browsing the datastores gave this error message also (vcenter-connnected esxi hosts)
When adding the destination esxi host manually (had to use ip-address as it said the server was already added) and changing the host as replication destination the job works again.
arthurp
Influencer
Full Name: Arthur Pizyo

Post by arthurp »

It seems to be a vCenter issue. Replicating virtual machine from one ESX 4.1 host to another ESX 4.1 host managed by vCenter 5 fails with "Inactive datastore" error. You can't browse datastores using Veeam as you get the same message. Job works if hosts are added directly.
arthurp
Influencer
Full Name: Arthur Pizyo

Post by arthurp »

Gostev wrote:vSphere 5 is not currently supported. We are waiting for RTM code to become available to perform full testing against it. It sounds like you just found some issue with our product and vSphere 5 build you have in possession. This issue may or may not be present in RTM code though. Thanks.
Hi Anton,

Do you have any estimated timeline regarding vSphere 5 compatibility?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Please watch the corresponding topic for updates on our vSphere 5 RTM code testing progress...
rickyelqasem
Novice

Post by rickyelqasem »

I've tested Instanct VM Recovery and found the same thing, however this DOES NOT happen on VMFS 3.x datastores. So in the mean time if you have the option, create a small VMFS 3 datastore.
rbrambley
Veeam Software
Liked: 57 times
Full Name: Rich Brambley

Post by rbrambley »

Just wanted to emphasize arthurp's comment. It Is easily missed if you are skimming through this.

The workaround for vSphere 5 for now is to not add vCenter 5 to Veeam. Just add the ESXi hosts directly instead and you will not have this issue.
wdbarker3
Novice
Full Name: Dan Barker

Post by wdbarker3 »

"not add vCenter 5 to Veeam" is not a workaround unless you are doing a new install. I've got replicas and jobs already defined. Backups still work, but don't involve vCenter. I searched for vSphere 5 warnings before the upgrade and found only successes. Only after upgrading vClient and vCenter did I get an error message "Inactive Datastore" that results in these forum posts on Veeam.com searches. I certainly wish Veeam had made it easy to determine that VB&R was not ready for vSphere 5. I could easily have waited. Now, all my replicate jobs will fail until it gets fixed. If I need to do a restore, I'll probably have to do it to a specific host, manually added. I'll hope for a quick resolution but I hate to depend on "hope" in data processing. It often leaves you high and dry. I'm lucky in that the "important" systems will not be upgraded until this is worked out, but I'm certainly disappointed that my "less important" systems are so seriously hobbled. No, that's not right. I'll revert vCenter to it's before v5 snapshot and hold my breath. The install mentioned deploying "agents" to my ESXi. Hopefully they'll still talk to vCenter 4. Yeah, that's the ticket! Veeam, if you are looking, PLEASE put a warning on your site prominently that VB&R is not ready for vSphere 5.
wdbarker3
Novice
Full Name: Dan Barker

Post by wdbarker3 »

Yeah. That worked (revert to vCenter 4). At least the VMWare agent is not brain-dead. I was only on vClient 5 for 10 minutes, but I really miss the rapid screen redraws. I hope you guys get this fixed soon!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

wdbarker3 wrote:Veeam, if you are looking, PLEASE put a warning on your site prominently that VB&R is not ready for vSphere 5.
Product system requirements are listed under Resources > System Requirements on the product's page.
Plus, there is vSphere 5 support topic in every product's forum > vSphere 5 Support

I will ask the web team if they can fine a good place to put vSphere 5 warning message in red font, probably next to 5.0.2 announcement. Although I do not expect many existing customers to wonder around marketing/download pages looking for this type of information... it looks like most early adopters just assume that vSphere 5 is supported, and go straight for the upgrade.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

I am locking down this topic now to prevent duplicate discussion of the same issue.
For vSphere 5 support related issues, please refer to vSphere 5 support topic.