Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
tpcomp
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Timothy Peters

Backup fails reporting There is not enough space on the disk

Post by tpcomp »

I'm a home user of the free version, "Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows 3.0.2.1170 - Free Edition". My backup job began failing on 27-Jul-2019. Prior to that I'd been running regular backups for months without incident. The error seems to be that there is not enough disk space on my NAS server, but a review of the share on that server to which I'm backing up seems to report more than adequate storage. I haven't appreciably increased the amount of storage I'm using on the PC being backed up.

I've opened support cases twice, but both have been closed shortly after being opened due to my not having a paid version. The case IDs: were 03798914 and 03685848.

I'm receiving the following error from my backup job:
Error: Shared memory connection was closed. Failed to upload disk. Agent failed to process method {DataTransfer.SyncDisk}. Exception from server: There is not enough space on the disk. Failed to write data to the file [\\myfileserver\Backup\Backup Job TIM-PC\Backup Job TIM-PC2019-09-30T183303.vbk]. Failed to download disk.
Size: 1.8 TB
Read: 1.5 TB
Transferred: 1.4 TB
Duration: 41:12:23

I'm backing up my entire computer, which comprises my system C: drive (111 GB SSD with 40.6 GB used) and my data drive E: (1.81 TB HD with 1.54 TB used), so my entire backup should be about 1.58 TB (assuming unused storage is not part of the backup). The UNRAID system (my NAS server) reports 2.15 TB free in my Backup share.

If it's pertinent, my NAS server is running the UNRAID OS,version 6.3.5. I have a shared storage pool on that server named Backup that contains 3 disks using the xfs file system. The disks are:
1.5 TB with 36.9 KB free
2 TB with 1.4 TB free
750 GB with 749 GB free
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Backup fails reporting There is not enough space on the disk

Post by Dima P. »

Hello and welcome to the community forums Timothy,

Thank you for the detailed explanation of your issue. Mind me asking if, by any chance, you configured your backup job to create a periodic full backup or it's running in forever forward incremental backup job? Cheers!
tpcomp
Novice

Post by tpcomp »

Hi Dima. I guess the answer would be a forever forward incremental backup job. I started with a full backup, then incrementals from then onwards. It's set to roll forward the full backup when it becomes 14 days old.
tpcomp
Novice

Post by tpcomp »

Is there anyone on this forum who can help with this issue? I haven't heard a thing since posting back in October, save for one response that did not resolve the problem. Thank you for your time.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Timothy,

Terribly sorry - looks like I somehow missed your last reply. Can you please update the current sate of your backup job? Is it still failing? I assume you had one successful full backup job run and then it fails on the incremental job run, is that correct?

Is it possible to remove the existing backup files and start new backup chain (there might be some orphaned backup files in case backup job fails which were not removed by retention)? Thank you!
tpcomp
Novice

Post by tpcomp »

Hi Dima,

I have had the backup disabled since I first reported the problem, as it was failing every execution, and I saw no reason to keep it running. I believe that I had already tried removing the existing backup files and starting over, but, as it has been several months, I'm not sure my recollection is correct. I'll give it another try from zero when I get home this evening. I may not have anything to report for a couple of days, as the full backup takes over a day, as I recall.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Timothy,

Thanks for the heads up. I'll await for the results of new job runs and we will go from there. Cheers!
tpcomp
Novice

Post by tpcomp »

The backup failed around 10 pm Wednesday. Here are the contents of the status email I received:

Error: Shared memory connection was closed. Failed to upload disk. Agent failed to process method {DataTransfer.SyncDisk}. Exception from server: There is not enough space on the disk. Failed to write data to the file [\\cntfile\Backup\Backup Job TIM-PC\Backup Job TIM-PC2020-01-07T035747.vbk]. Failed to download disk.

Name Status Start time End time Size Read Transferred Duration

TIM-PC Error 03:57:43 22:10:06 (+1) 1.8 TB 1.5 TB 1.4 TB 42:12:22

My backup target is a file share consisting of 3 drives hosted on a server running UNRAID, which I believe is a Linux based OS. The management console for said server reports that, as of the end/failure of the backup, the share has a total of 3.48 TB free. The total of my C: and E: drives, the 2 drives that compose my computer's storage, is 1.921 TB.

Let me know what other information might be helpful.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Timothy,

Thanks, checking with QA folks. Stay tuned!
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Timothy,

We've found a couple of articles with the same symptoms and looks like the issue is related to UNRAID configuration.

SSD Cache not switching to array. Very annoying! here recommendation was to change the value for "Minimum free space". I read: users set it to the largest file size possibles and that fixed the issue.

It the Not enough free space on drive (I have 5.48TB Free) post user ended up reformatting the drive to xfs.
tpcomp
Novice

Post by tpcomp »

Thanks for those articles Dima. I'll look at trying them as soon as I can, and let you know how it goes.
tpcomp
Novice

Post by tpcomp »

Dima, it seems I'm a bit ignorant of how file systems (or file shares) work. My backup was to an UNRAID share comprising 3 drives of varying sizes: 1.5 TB, 2 TB, and 750 GB. I'd assumed that all of this space would be available to whatever file I might want to store. Seems UNRAID (perhaps other OSes work this way, too) won't split a file amongst multiple drives, even if they're all part of the same share. And, as luck would have it, it had chosen the 1.5 TB drive to start creating the backup file. I'm not sure of the total storage used on my C: and E: drives when I first began using Veeam, but it seems I've now exceeded that 1.5 TB capacity.

As far as the file system, I was already using XFS, as that seems to be the UNRAID default.

I've deleted all data on the 3 drives and split my prior share into 2: one comprising my 2 TB drive; the other comprising the 1.5 TB and 750 GB drives. I've restarted my backup, as of this morning, to the 2 TB share. If it works, it should be done by sometime Saturday, and I'll let you know. I doubt I'll have sufficient space, at 2 TB, to maintain the 13 days of incrementals I used to have, so I'll no doubt be in the market for bigger drives quite soon.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Timothy,

Glad that we've figured this out! Check if it's possible to setup JBOD on this device (or maybe some sort of software defined dynamic disk in UNRAID)? Cheers!
tpcomp
Novice

Post by tpcomp »

Dima,

Backup completed successfully early this morning. I'll look into your suggestions, re: JBOD or dynamic disk, as time allows. Thanks for your assistance with this.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Timothy,

Good news, thank you for sharing! Let us know if you have any other questions. Cheers!