Maintain control of your Microsoft 365 data
ipv12
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Michael Murray

Veeam Server Onsite with Azure Storage

Post by ipv12 »

If I deploy the Veeam office 365 v4 backup server onsite and connect it to Azure blob storage, will the backup data its self need to route through the on prem server?
Polina
Veeam Software
Liked: 681 times
Full Name: Polina Vasileva

Re: Veeam Server Onsite with Azure Storage

Post by Polina »

Hi Michael and welcome to the Community!

Backup data will go directly to an object storage repository and only metadata will be saved locally.
jmmarton
Veeam Software
Liked: 309 times
Full Name: Joe Marton

Post by jmmarton »

Only the metadata will be saved locally, but the local backup proxy is what does the reading of data and writing it to Azure Blob. This means all traffic flow will yes still have to pass through the local server and then immediately be sent back up to Azure for writing to Azure Blob.

What I've been recommending to customers who want to keep all data in Microsoft's cloud to use a proxy/repo Azure VM, or multiple Azure VMs if the size of your O365 warrants it. Of course you'll have to pay for the compute as well as a little non-blob storage for the metadata, but at least you won't have all the traffic traversing your pipe twice.

Joe
lowlander
Service Provider
Liked: 30 times

Post by lowlander »

When deploying the Marketplace VM for VBO365 in Azure I assume this virtual machine is configured in a Windows workgroup environment. Is it possible to add additional proxies/repo Azure VMs in the same workgroup, or is a domain required for this ?
jmmarton
Veeam Software

Post by jmmarton »

No AD domain is required. As long as you can authenticate to the additional VMs, you can deploy the additional VBO components on them.

Joe
jmmarton
Veeam Software

Post by jmmarton »

I misspoke. I mixed up the requirements of VBO with Veeam Backup & Replication which does not have the trusted domain requirement. But for VBO, yes, the backup proxy must be in the same or trusted domain.

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/vbo36 ... tml?ver=40

Joe
ccombs
Lurker

Post by ccombs »

It looks like we have two Veeam employees disagreeing. So, can someone point to an article that that specifically states whether all data that is backed up from O365 comes inside, then goes to Azure, or if the bulk of the data goes directly from O365 to the Azure object storage, not having to come internal to the Veeam server first?
nielsengelen
Product Manager
Liked: 1177 times
Full Name: Niels Engelen

Post by nielsengelen »

As stated by Polina, data goes directly to the Object Storage (after we parsed it in memory) from O365 to Azure Blob (so O365->server->blob). We keep a local metadata cache as well for minimising costs.
Personal blog: https://foonet.be
GitHub: https://github.com/nielsengelen
dbewernick
Veeam Software
Liked: 107 times
Full Name: David Bewernick

Post by dbewernick »

ipv12 wrote: Jan 14, 2020 12:06 am will the backup data its self need to route through the on prem server?
Yes, if the on prem server is the proxy used by the backup job, the traffic will be passing through this machine to be stored in Azure Blob.
Ashu
Lurker
Full Name: Ashu

[MERGED] Veeam + wasabi

Post by Ashu »

Hi
We are migrating our small (10-15 users) business to O365 very soon and I have come just come across veeam for O365 + wasabi solution,

So how does this work?

We run the veeam backup software from a windows 10 pc, does veeam pull the backed up data from the cloud to the local computer and then send it to the wasabi cloud storage? Or directly from the Microsoft servers to the wasabi cloud?

Thanks
Ash
Polina
Veeam Software
Liked: 681 times
Full Name: Polina Vasileva

Post by Polina »

Hi Ash and welcome to the Community,

I moved your post to the thread where similar questions were discussed.
With Wasabi, it works the same way as with Azure Blob or any other supported object storage - backup traffic goes through a VBO proxy; backup data itself is stored directly to the cloud with a small amount of metadata put to the local cache (repository .adb file).