Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
neodavid
Lurker
Liked: never

What file shows the computer model is for?

Post by neodavid »

We have 7 different models of computers and recently the recovery media 'got mixed up'.

Looking through the files I don't see anything useful via text... but was wondering if anyone knew if it was worth going over with a Hex editor, or find another way to discover which model the media was for.

I'm not looking for work-arounds, thanks... all of those take time and I'd like to simply find the model a media is meant for (or find out if it's possible).

Thanks! I don't have time to dig in deeper yet but hoped someone from the forum may have already done the work involved.

Much appreciated in advance, to anyone responding with the answer!!
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 680 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Re: What file shows the computer model is for?

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

Hi NeoDavid,

We do not keep any sensitive machine-specific information on a Recovery Media (models, names, ip addresses, user accounts so on). You can mount ISO:\sources\boot.wim (dism /Mount-Image /ImageFile:F:\sources\boot.wim /MountDir:C:\temp\mount /index:1 /ReadOnly) and browse for included drivers(dism /image:C:\temp\mount /Get-Drivers /All). Those drivers are partly generic + partly machine specific (if you enabled option to include machine specific drivers during Recovery Media creation). That might lead to a hardware-specific device drivers that might present for a specific computer model of yours.

However, I think it is easier to create a single, universal Recovery Media for all your machines and include all machine-specific drivers into it. Hope that helps!
neodavid
Lurker
Liked: never

Post by neodavid »

Thanks... for a very thorough answer!
I assume the only drivers I need on the boot media would be the USB 3.0... and that, really only for the speed?

I'm not doing anything over the network since I need the speed. Using an SSD a restore only takes 2 minutes... which blows my mind.

We are definitely going to buy some licenses for this.

Thanks again!

D
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 680 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

If backup files are placed locally(like on a USB disk), then yes, no special network drivers injection will be required. In case you are dealing with common laptops, typically, windows-default drivers that are used in Veeam Recovery Media creation are enough and all devices will be detected and operate normally within generic Veeam Recovery Media boot. In some cases, like a Physical Servers with hardware RAID controllers, you can either inject said RAID controller drivers in advance(during Recovery Media creation) or add them on the flight(during Recovery Media boot\restore).
Glad to help!