Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
matt33
Lurker
Liked: never

Restoring Files Issue

Post by matt33 »

Hello everyone,

I have a question in regards to restoring some files. To give you quick summary of what took place:

With the end of life of server 2008 we had a VM file server that needed upgraded. Due to the complexities of GPOs, etc we felt the best solution was to create a 2016 Server, shut down the old 2008 server, and give the new 2016 server the same name and IP of the old server.

We then attached the virtual disks from the old server to the new 2016 server, powered it on, Shared the applicable folders that needed to be and we were back up and running with minimal issues... Until now. We did need to reestablish a connection with Veeam and backups were back to running smoothly and normally.

Now when we try to restore a file from when it was the old VM 2008 server we're getting an error: Unable to use guest agent: VM is powered off. This error is pretty cut and dry and I get what it's saying, yes that old VM is off with really no hope of turning it back on. With that being said, how do I recover files now from a VM that is "powered off?"

Thanks in advance.
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 526 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Re: Restoring Files Issue

Post by PetrM »

Hello!

I'd recommend one of the following workarounds:
1. Use "Copy to.." button and restore files to a local or to a shared folder and then copy restored files to the new server using file explorer or any other tool.

2. Run Instant Recovery (select "Restore to a new location") and copy necessary files from instantly restored VM to the 2016 server using any tool you prefer.
In this case you should leave "Connect VM to network" checkbox not selected to avoid IP conflicts after restore and modify network settings on the restored VM manually.

Thanks!