Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
doublejay
Novice
Liked: never

Unable to mount Sharepoint backup via Veeam Explorer

Post by doublejay »

Hello folks,

I have trouble using Veeam Explorer for Sharepoint.

When I try and mount one of my backups I can click through the wizard and select a backup generation. After that Veeam Explorer starts and the mount procedure starts. Than after nearly a minute I get the message:

"Unable to attach database:
xyz.mdf"

In the log files I did find this message:
"Error: CREATE DATABASE or ALTER DATABASE failed because the resulting cumulative database size would exceed your licensed limit of 10240 MB per database."

I found KB1769 which addresses this feature. The solution suggested there is:
"Specify SQL Server Full Edition in the options of Veeam Explorer for Sharepoint"

But how can I do this? Does this mean, I need to use an external SQL-Server for the Veeam DB?

Cheers,
JJ
nielsengelen
Product Manager
Liked: 1181 times
Full Name: Niels Engelen

Re: Unable to mount Sharepoint backup via Veeam Explorer

Post by nielsengelen » 1 person likes this post

This is a limitation for MSSQL Express. If you want to mount a database bigger then 10GB, you will need to use a full edition of SQL for your VBR installation or redirect the database to another SQL server which is a full edition.
Personal blog: https://foonet.be
GitHub: https://github.com/nielsengelen
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 683 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Post by Egor Yakovlev » 1 person likes this post

By default, Veeam comes with a free edition of MS SQL Server Express. It is limited to 10GB of max DB size.

You can restore entire DB(greater than 10GB size) no problem, but in order to work with DB items(SQL tables, stored procedures, SharePoint files, pages etc) we need to temporarily mount said database somewhere - and choice by default is the default MS SQL Express Edition. To work it out, go to Veeam Explorer for SharePoint General Options tab and point us to the SQL server with no size restriction(any paid edition of MS SQL will do the trick) - it can even be existing production SQL hosting same SharePoint farm!

Here is How-To Guide.

/Cheers!
doublejay
Novice
Liked: never

Post by doublejay »

Ok, now I get it. I only need to configure the other SQL-Server for Sharepoint restores.

I thought I should move the whole SQL-Server Express Edition Instance from Veeam brings to another SQL-Server.

Thanks!