Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
chiller15
Novice
Liked: never

Veeam not releasing mounted disks

Post by chiller15 »

I've come across an issue recently during the backup process, where VEEAM mounts the virtual disks to the VEEAM server VM but does not release them again. Instead of the two normal attached disks (OS and data), it's reporting that there are 10 disks attached. I get warnings from vSphere (6.7.0) that a specific VM's snapshots need consolidation, but I can't do that because the file is locked. Once I remove the disks from the VEEAM VM, I can then perform consolidation and the vSphere warning goes away. However the next night when the backups run, the same thing happens and I get the same warning the following day.

Can anyone provide any suggestions?
mscheel
Service Provider
Liked: never
Full Name: Mitchell Scheel

Re: Veeam not releasing mounted disks

Post by mscheel »

We have seen this often in the past which seems to be caused by several different factors. It would be tough to know why it is happening without digging through logs, but our solution was to switch to direct storage or network only mode and not use virtual appliance mode. As long as your networking is sufficient you shouldn't see a performance hit. In our case, the proxies are connected with 10G, but we are a service provider. We do have customers that are running backups and replications this way over 1G connections.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Veeam not releasing mounted disks

Post by foggy »

Any chance proxy VM (backup server, in your case) is itself a part of the job? Anyway, I agree that such issues have to be investigated by our support team. Thanks!