Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
Mgamerz
Expert
Liked: 28 times

Seed VAW backup to repository

Post by Mgamerz »

I have a client who works remotely exclusively. It is not possible for them to come to my office. We switched to veeam agent for our client systems and I have not successfully got a backup from this user even though it's been trying for months. It never can complete simply because it takes too long to get a backup.

Is it possible to seed a backup from VAW? I know you can seed from VBR to another repo but I don't know how you would create a backup that would work for that purpose with VAW. Make a local backup job and then ship it to the repo location and import it? Does that work for VAW backups?
mscheel
Service Provider
Liked: never
Full Name: Mitchell Scheel

Re: Seed VAW backup to repository

Post by mscheel »

I have not tried this personally, but we have suggested using the backup to a local repo, ship the drive to the provider and place in it their repo method to tenants in the past. The below KB might point you in the right direction.

https://www.veeam.com/kb2321
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 683 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

Note that backup seeding will be possible only if initial backup was done via Managed Agent(job made from VBR server). Standalone\Free Agent backup chain is not a valid option for any sort of seed. Thanks!
Mgamerz
Expert
Liked: 28 times

Post by Mgamerz »

Am I able to specify a local disk when doing a managed job? This user only has local resources (and connection to our network over VPN, but their connection is not fast). They're in a protection group right now, so i guess they'd have to be part of two of them or something?
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Am I able to specify a local disk when doing a managed job?
Yes that is possible: it can be a local drive or path to shared folder.
This user only has local resources (and connection to our network over VPN, but their connection is not fast). They're in a protection group right now, so i guess they'd have to be part of two of them or something?
You can create a dedicated backup job for this machine with local disk set as a target. Cheers!