Maintain control of your Microsoft 365 data
tree65
Lurker
Liked: never

Veeam Not Backing Up Any Media Files

Post by tree65 »

I see the backups are not backing up most of my media files within OneDrive and in SharePoint. It backs up other files in the folders, but ignores mp3, mp4, etc. files.
I checked this since I created a backup job only backing up a media site, and the backup size was very small. When I attempted to recover the site, I saw the missing files from the backup. I then checked the backup of the entire organization, and saw the same thing.

I did not modify any settings from the defaults, and I could not find any setting which would cause this. Anyone else run into this?

I am using Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365, Version 4.0.0.1345.
I have it installed on Server 2019

Thanks!
Polina
Veeam Software
Liked: 705 times
Full Name: Polina Vasileva

Re: Veeam Not Backing Up Any Media Files

Post by Polina »

Hi tree65,

There're no limitations or specific settings for different file types.
Are you seeing this on repositories with item-level retention? Can you make sure that the last modification date of those missing files is within the specified retention period?

Thanks!
tree65
Lurker
Liked: never

Post by tree65 »

I was using the item-level based retention. I created a new repository and set it to snapshot base retention, ran a backup, and it backed up the audio files fine.
Why would the item-level not backup audio\videos files? Should I just stick with snapshot based retention?
Polina
Veeam Software
Liked: 705 times
Full Name: Polina Vasileva

Post by Polina »

It's not about the file type, but the specifics of how item-level retention works - items are backed up according to their last modification date; if this date exceeds the specified retention period, items are out of the backup scope.

The mechanism and the difference between the two supported retention types are nicely covered in the product documentation and this blog post. And there're also many helpful discussions here on forums.