Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
biolippe
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Christoph

Many tasks "renew disk lease"

Post by biolippe »

Hi,

when Veeam backup starts the job for backing up our VMs on vSphere it creates snapshots for every VM. After that I can see hundreds of tasks "renew disk lease" in vCenter for 4 different VMs. This takes over 1 hour before the data copy starts. The VMs has no (orphained) snapshots. I already opened a case:

What is the problem here?
soncscy
Veteran
Liked: 312 times
Full Name: Harvey

Re: Many tasks "renew disk lease"

Post by soncscy »

Heya Christoph,

I know you said "no snapshots", but are you absolutely sure on this? One of the cool things I've found about Veeam is that it seems to return in its logs when there are snapshots on a VM. Now, because it does a snapshot to do a backup, the "normal" search for 000001.vmdk will give false positives, but I think it's pretty logical to just search 000002.vmdk, and if you see any results, you have VMs on snapshot.

The logic here is that if it's on snapshot before the backup attempt, the snapshot will be 000002.vmdk (since the VM's disk is reported as 000001.vmdk).

grep across your veeam directory for 000002.vmdk and see what VMs are mentioned.
biolippe
Influencer

Post by biolippe »

I am not sure where I should search exactly now for 000002.vmdk
I searched on the datastore for the mentioned 4 VMs, there are no snapshots. Only for one VM there are snapshots, because it is the master VM for our VDI.
I also searched in the logs for the backup job and also there I only found 000002.vmdk entries for one master VM, but that VM doesn't appear for the renew disk lease event.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2257 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Harvey was talking about Veeam debug logs which you can find in: %ProgramData%\Veeam\Backup. However, let's support engineer investigate those and provide you with the definitive answer. Thanks!
biolippe
Influencer

Post by biolippe »

Support also only told me that there is a snapshot on the master VM for VDI. But I can't delete that one and also this machine doesn't appear for the "renew disk lease" task.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2257 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Then, keep working with the support engineer on finding the root cause of "renew disk lease" task on non-master VMs. Thanks!