Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
KakarottoBkp
Novice
Liked: 1 time

How to Delete Old Synthetic Full Backup ?

Post by KakarottoBkp »

Hello all,

I have a repository with no space, and a 3 synthethic backups occupying a good volume.

How to delete old synthethic Full backups in a safe way ?

Backup Job Detail: Incremental.

Thank all for help.
DGrinev
Veteran
Liked: 247 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Re: How to Delete Old Synthetic Full Backup ?

Post by DGrinev »

Hello KakarottoBkp, welcome to the community!

Can you provide more information about the retention policy (how many restore points to keep)?
The next job run should be full or incremental? Is there enough space for one more increment?

Thanks!
KakarottoBkp
Novice
Liked: 1 time

Post by KakarottoBkp »

Hello DGrinev, thanks for the welcome.

I set 30 restore points to keep and with 1 synthethic full bakcup a week. But, is a new job, and now have a 6 restore points with 3 full synthethic backup. The 3 full synthethic is a high volume in repository

I probably did the wrong policy, and I believe that a full backup is not necessary every week, right? Maybe one in month.

The next job run a incrimental. I disabled momentary full backup because it was taking too long to complete the job, and stuck the job in 99%. I opened a ticket support and the tip was not to create synthethic on a NAS storage (where I use the repository for these jobs).

Yes, we have space for more increment.

Thanks for the fast reply.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

You can remove old synthetic full backups along with restore points that depend on them either manually or automatically (by lowering the retention period).

Also, if you target repository cannot cope with synthetic activity, then, switch to active full backups instead.

Thanks!