Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
Jmiker919
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Mike Rodgers

Getting disk read error since Windows update to v1909

Post by Jmiker919 »

Windows 10, upgraded to version 1909 from 1903 last month. Apparently that's when the backups started failing.

The error is: Error: The device is not ready. Asynchronous read operation failed Failed to upload disk. Agent failed to process method {DataTransfer.SyncDisk}. Exception from server: The device is not ready. Asynchronous read operation failed Unable to retrieve next block transmission command. Number of already processed blocks: [183771]. Failed to download disk.

I've run chkdsk on both the C: (OS drive) and each of the three repository drives I've tried. They all come up clean.

But, when I run the backup on only the C: drive, and deselect the Operating System partition ("Recovery Partition" in Disk Management), the backup runs successfully. Of course, I get the warning that the OS won't be able to be restored without the the system partition.

So it looks like the Windows update changed something in that system partition and VAW is not happy with it. Any suggestions? Thanks.
jmmarton
Veeam Software
Liked: 309 times
Full Name: Joe Marton

Re: Getting disk read error since Windows update to v1909

Post by jmmarton »

Please open a support case so that support can examine the logs and post the case ID here.

Joe
tinkererguy
Enthusiast
Liked: 16 times
Full Name: Paul Braren

Post by tinkererguy »

Just another data point. I'm on 1901, and so far, I'm not seeing any issues with 3.0.2.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Mike,

What agent version you are using? We had some issues in the past where agent cannot detect the system partition (which is usually recreated during Windows updates) but such problems should be resolved in the latest agent version.
tinkererguy
Enthusiast
Liked: 16 times
Full Name: Paul Braren

Post by tinkererguy »

Sorry, meant to type 1909.