Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
averylarry
Veteran
Liked: 30 times
Full Name: Ted

2 separate Veeam systems - CBT ok?

Post by averylarry »

We've used Veeam for a very long time. Nightly backups of our servers and nightly replications to an offsite VMware system (replication source is the backup files).
Our parent company recently decided to change their backup system to Veeam and force all their companies to use their system. However, they are doing a distantly remote backup copy to the cloud. We do not like the setup they are using (slow DR time) AND we don't really trust them to do it well (they are making the change because they got rampantly infected with Ransomware).

So that leads to my question. They have setup a Veeam server and connect via vCenter. Their server is remote, thus I presume it can only use Network mode (at least I presume they didn't install a Veeam agent).

I have a small environment and I can generally expect to schedule the backups sufficiently later than the other Veeam system's backups to avoid jobs running simultaneously. Are there any issues running this way? CBT won't somehow get messed up between the 2 servers, right?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: 2 separate Veeam systems - CBT ok?

Post by foggy »

Hi Ted, CBT will be ok, but be careful with scheduling the jobs - you should avoid overlaps.
averylarry
Veteran

Post by averylarry »

Is there a way to check for a Veeam snapshot before running a job?
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1408 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Post by Andreas Neufert »

The Snapshot processing do not matter and you can overlap there.The guest processing and logfile truncation need extra awareness... In the end a job could fail and retry should fix it in that case.
averylarry
Veteran

Post by averylarry »

Excellent! Thank you very much.