Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
kyssling
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Vaclav

Full backup every x-th number

Post by kyssling »

Hello,
I am switching from Cobian Backup to Veeam Windows Free and I do not know, if and how,
to set up the following - thank you in advance for your help.

1)
I want to set (for example) that every fifth manual backup is full - can it be set? (at Cobian it was
easy). It is setup for laptops where user arrive randomly and manually start backup - no scheduler will work here.
Veeam has the option to "Create Active Full Backup Periodically" but not to the x-th backup number

2)
During experimentation I set "Keep backup for 1 days" but backup files still on disk ...
I think they should be deleted - is this the right presumption?

Thank for tips Vaclav
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 680 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Re: Full backup every x-th number

Post by Egor Yakovlev » 1 person likes this post

Hi Vaclav.
1. If jobs runs on schedule, Free Agent can perform automatic Active Full backup once a week, or on specific days. Option "every X" is not available. If you run backups manually, just hit "Active Full backup" option instead of "Backup Now". That will create a Full backup instead of default Incremental.
2. Retention will be applied after next backup run. Unless you used "Standalone Full" option before, it shall clear out older restore points according to the retention settings. Standalone Full backups are not a subject of automatic retention cleanup.
Cheers!
TomTiddler
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Ian Telford

Post by TomTiddler »

On a (possibly) related note, I've managed to end up with too many "Active Full Backups", is there any way to clean these out manually, as I'm about to run out of disk space due to too many backups being kept.
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 680 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

Sure.
First of all, note that all dependant increments will have to be deleted as well.
- Open your Backup Properties window and locate those Active Full Backup files you want to delete.
- Notice the file path and file name of each restore point you will get rid of
- Manually delete said files from file system
- Run a Rescan of Repository in Veeam. Veeam will detect missing backup files.
- Use Forget Backup option under Backup Properties.
/Cheers!