Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
jround
Enthusiast
Liked: 6 times

Restore point doesn't match up when restoring from tape

Post by jround »

We did a restore from tape to repository job yesterday as someone had lost a file on our file server back in December

Selected the incremental restore point which we do backup as part of the tape jobs :-

36 days ago (12:31 Monday 02/12/2019)

However once the restore had completed and in 'Backups - Disk (Imported)' only available restore point is :-

38 days ago (12:31 Saturday 30/11/2019)

Am I missing something here?
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: Restore point doesn't match up when restoring from tape

Post by Shestakov »

Hello,
Is that the same file?
My guess is that Saturday 30/11/2019 is a day of initial backup while Monday 02/12/2019 is a day when the backup was copied on the tape.
Could you specify where you see these days?
Thanks
jround
Enthusiast

Post by jround »

Here is what I see, I go to Backups - Tape then the server, 'Restore backup from tape to repository...' and select a specific restore point which matches up the time the server would have backed up when on disk (12:30 each day)

https://imgur.com/b3MoqOw

So the list of increments are there but the restore seems to have only pulled the 30/11 FULL back into Veeam
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

jround,

Thank you for the screenshot - can you also post the screenshot of your Backup (Imported) node?

After incremental restore point has been selected in 'Restore Backup from Tape to Repository' wizard you should get the potion of backup chain which allows you to perform the restore, so in addition to the desired incremental restore point you may get several incremental restore points and full backup. Cheers!
jround
Enthusiast

Post by jround »

Here is Disk (Imported), as you can see it only has the Full restore point available, I understand it would need this to process the incrementals but doesn't seem to be retrieving the incrementals

https://imgur.com/a/QBdjsiw
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Unfortunately, I am out of ideas. Can you raise a case and ask our support engineers to investigate this restore issue? Please do not forget to share the case ID in this thread.
jround
Enthusiast

Post by jround »

Thanks, [ID# 03944280] Tape backup incremental restore points created
jround
Enthusiast

Post by jround »

I have just spent some time with a very helpful engineer called Adrian (Give him a pay rise :))

We went through and the same issue, however under 'Disk - Imported' once the tape restore job had completed if we 'removed from configuration' the entry that the completed tape restore job had auto populated in there then went to 'Import backup' and browsed to the restored backup folder and selected the *.vbk file rather than the *.vbm file the full and incremental restore points are all available.

So not sure why the *.vbm files are becoming corrupt / only showing full restore points from tape but the *.vbk import method works great for now, I know v10 is around the corner so maybe worth waiting for that now to see if it resolves the issue fully
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

jround,

Thanks for the heads up! I've passed your feedback to Adrian and the team as well asked QA team to review the case details. Cheers!