Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
sigurross
Influencer
Liked: never

Excessive VeeamAgent.exe processes

Post by sigurross »

I've been to tech support several times for this issue but have received no reasonable explanation as to why this one job of ours crawls along at 19MB/s while most other jobs are going at 150MB/s

I've noticed that this particular job yields a bunch of extra VeeamAgent.exe processes. Why would this be?

Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Excessive VeeamAgent.exe processes

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Jason,

Various processing rate for different VMs is expected, see existing topic on this: Very different backup speed on VM's

Also be aware that forward incremental mode should give you better incremental backup performance rates due to three times less I/O load.

As for agent processes number, then here is another existing topic, take a look: Veeam agents

Thanks.
ctchang
Expert
Liked: 1 time

Post by ctchang »

A side topic, but related, I see there is only one Veeam.Backup.Shell.exe, sometimes, it went to 1.5GB, I have to close it manually by End Task, luckily, it seemed to me there is no Veeam Service related to this cmd, so it will re-generate itself again once the backup job starts later.

Is this a bug related to memory leak? I am using v5.01
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

First of all I would definitely recommend upgrading to the latest version. Secondly, Veeam backup shell process is only responsible for the backup console (Windows UI), so I'm not quite sure why the memory is leaking. Do you keep it open all the time? Could you please open a support ticket on that?
ctchang
Expert

Post by ctchang »

Vitaliy S. wrote:First of all I would definitely recommend upgrading to the latest version. Secondly, Veeam backup shell process is only responsible for the backup console (Windows UI), so I'm not quite sure why the memory is leaking. Do you keep it open all the time? Could you please open a support ticket on that?
Yes, I keep it on 24/7 may be that's why.

But even I killed the .exe, my backup console (B&R Windows UI) did not crash or close.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

It would be really bad product design if UI was crashing along with jobs ;)
ctchang
Expert

Post by ctchang »

Gostev wrote:It would be really bad product design if UI was crashing along with jobs ;)
So could there be a possible mem. leak in Veeam.Backup.Shell.exe after runnning a lont time?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

I think you'd better upgrade to the latest version (5.02) and in case of being able to reproduce the same behavior, address our support team to investigate.
Thanks.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

ctchang wrote:So could there be a possible mem. leak in Veeam.Backup.Shell.exe after runnning a lont time?
Always a chance. UI is actually C# application, unlike rest of the product which is a native code. Could be specific to C# memory management and .NET. Another possibility as 3rd party application affecting this (such as antivirus).
sigurross
Influencer
Liked: never

Post by sigurross »

So it turns out the VMware tools quiescence was not enabled for what ever reason. After I enabled that my backup job went from 13 hours down to 1! WTF!?

What does this feature do?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Please, look up the User Guide or just search the forum regarding this feature, as this has been discussed millions of times already. But it does nothing that can affect backup performance in a positive way. Specifically, the opposite - it slows down the snapshot creation process. So, look some other changes that were made to the environment ;)

BTW - I hope you are comparing apples to apples? Full backup to full backup? Or, incremental backup with 1 day worth of VM changes to another incremental backup processing 1 day worth of VM changes (instead of consequent incremental which has almost no changes to grab obviously)?