Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
vaicsimmons
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Chris Simmons

Question Regarding Restore Points

Post by vaicsimmons »

I am setting up a forward incremental daily backup with synthetic fulls created every week. I will be setting up a GFS backup copy job to keep 3 weekly, 11 monthly and 7 yearly backups. Since I will be keeping weekly backups onsite, that are easily accessible, how many restore points would you recommend that I set for the daily backup?

If my understanding is correct, if I specify 7 restore points, it will actually keep 14. This is due to the fact that Veeam will not delete the incrementals as it will break the backup chain since I am using forward incremental with synthetic fulls. Veeam would wait until it has enough current restore points to satisfy the restore point requirement before it deletes the oldest full synthetic backup and the incrementals in that chain.

Since I will already have the prior weeks weekly back saved, should I just the restore points to keep to 1? This would keep one full backup and the necessary incrementals. Once the next full synthetic is created, the requirements to keep one restore point would be met and the prior full backup and it's incremental chain will be deleted. Is my logic correct?
DGrinev
Veteran
Liked: 247 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Re: Question Regarding Restore Points

Post by DGrinev »

Hi Chris,

Your understanding is correct, but you cannot set simple retention to 1, the minimum value is 2.
The gap between last weekly and the most recent synthetic full can be one week long, if that meets your need then feel free to set it up.

Thanks!