Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Duaner
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Mark Renaud

vdk.exe error directory \$Secure is corrupt

Post by Duaner »

During a restore of guest files using Veeam's restore wizard an yellow Windows Application popup appears notifying: vdk.exe - Corrupt File : The file or directory \$Secure is corrupt and unreadable. Please run the Chkdsk utility.
Windows logs show also a similar message about \$MftMirr and directory \
We didn't run Chkdsk on the volumes, because they are created on the fly when restoring files. Running Chkntfs shows that all filesystems are not dirty.

Restoration of files works as usual, but we're unhappy about the Windows popup which only appears when doing a Veeam restore. Any suggestions?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: vdk.exe error directory \$Secure is corrupt

Post by foggy »

Mark, most likely the volume is not really healthy. I would suggest checking the source VM being backed up for errors. If this does not help, you'd better open a support case for deeper investigation.
Thanks.
mpasaa
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Mike Audet

Post by mpasaa »

We have the same issue and I just opened a case. It seems to happen with this FLR process. The backup volume in question is a 6TB ATA LUN in GPT format. I hope to move to SATA or FC disks in the near future but I simply can't right now due to limitations (i.e. budgets, time, etc.)--everyone knows how that goes. Hopefully, this app plays nice with ATA and it has been working OK for a couple years now but I know ATA disks have performance issues at times.
ddietrich
Lurker
Full Name: Duane Dietrich

[MERGED] VDK.exe is a corrupt file

Post by ddietrich »

Every time I kick off a FLR, Instant Recovery, or Lab Job, I get a balloon error and multiple errors in the System Event Log of the following:

Application popup: vdk.exe - Corrupt File : The file or directory System Reserved\ is corrupt and unreadable. Please run the Chkdsk utility.
and
The file system structure on the disk is corrupt and unusable. Please run the chkdsk utility on the volume System Reserved.

The jobs all complete successfully and I can browse and restore files, but the error messages are annoying. These events only happen when working with Veeam.

I have contacted Veeam support and tried all of the following:

Mounted the System Reserved Volume and ran Chkdsk (No Issues Found)
Reboot (Fixes it temporarily)
Uninstalling VBR and Reinstalling (Version 6.0.0.181)
Excluding Veeam folders from Symantec EndPoint
Disabling Symantec EndPoint

Anyone else seen this issue?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: VDK.exe is a corrupt file

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Duane, you need to include support case ID as explained when you click New Topic. Thanks!
bdoellefeld
Influencer
Full Name: Bill Doellefeld

Post by bdoellefeld »

My support case is 00135761.
I have exactly the same issue as Duane Dietrich and receive a volley of corruption errors. Along with the vdk.exe error I also receive event ID 55 ntfs errors.Nothing I do seems to mitigate it.

Application popup: vdk.exe - Corrupt File : The file or directory \$Secure is corrupt and unreadable. Please run the Chkdsk utility.
Application popup: vdk.exe - Corrupt File : The file or directory \ is corrupt and unreadable. Please run the Chkdsk utility.
Application popup: vdk.exe - Corrupt File : The file or directory \$MftMirr is corrupt and unreadable. Please run the Chkdsk utility.
NTFS IS 55 - The file system structure on the disk is corrupt and unusable. Please run the chkdsk utility on the volume OS.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6703 times

Post by Gostev »

May be the backed up VM was already corrupted? Or actual backup file got corrupted on storage? Try to do Instant VM Recovery (don't connect to network), and then run chkdsk inside.