Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
iroche
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Ian Roche

VM exclusion from backup job query

Post by iroche »

I have a question around the exclusion of virtual machines from jobs when using the folder structure to manage virtual machines backups. To give some background keep we keep all vm's of the same OS in the relevant folder in vCenter so SRV 08 vms go into the Server 08 folder and so on. We then created the jobs in Veeam using the folder . The issue is around exclusions as we have a number of machines in this particular job on a DMZ and they don't have a domain account on them and we use the "Enable application-aware image processing" option they fail to be backed up (see error below) . I want to exclude these virtual machines from the job so it completes without errors. When I try to edit the job and choose the "Exclusions" option no virtual machines are listed so I cant take the relevant machines out of the job. I already have them running in a separate job so I am not worried about them not being protected but ideally I want the job to run cleanly and without errors.

Error -

Validating guest agent availability for the VM
VMware Tools are not up to date. Please upgrade VMware Tools as soon as possible to avoid potential issues with VM processing.

Starting guest agent
Cannot connect to host [***********] over VIX library. Login: [DOMAIN\*****]. GuestLogin: [DOMAIN\*****].
Cannot login into the virtual machine: MACHINE NAME [DOMAIN\*****].
VIX Error: Authentication failure or insufficient permissions in guest operating system Code: 3015

Freezing guest operating system
Veeam Guest Agent is not started
pcrebe
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: CARLO

Re: VM exclusion from backup job query

Post by pcrebe »

Hello,
you can exclude VMs in exclusion: VM> add the VM you want exclude
you can select dedicated User for VMs in Guest Processing >Advanced option> Set User
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Ian, please find a step-by-step instructions on excluding VMs from processing in our Veeam B&R User Guide (p.61). Thanks.
iroche
Enthusiast

Post by iroche »

This is what I am trying to say guys if I choose the folder which contains the vm's and select the "Exclusions" button no vm's are listed. So I am unable to remove them from the job.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Ian, do you mean you click "Exclusions", THEN click "Add" and do not see any objects in the "Add Objects" window?
Bunce
Veteran
Liked: 8 times
Full Name: Andrew

Post by Bunce »

iroche wrote:This is what I am trying to say guys if I choose the folder which contains the vm's and select the "Exclusions" button no vm's are listed. So I am unable to remove them from the job.
You do to want to exclude the folder itself so don't select it.

Just add the vm's you wish to exclude...
iroche
Enthusiast

Post by iroche »

foggy wrote:Ian, do you mean you click "Exclusions", THEN click "Add" and do not see any objects in the "Add Objects" window?

Exactly foggy I can't view any virtual machines so I can't exclude the relevant machines .
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

You may want to open a support case, as guessing what you are doing wrong may take weeks over forum posts. This functionality has no known issues, and it is leveraged by majority of customers. Thanks.
iroche
Enthusiast

Post by iroche »

Gostev wrote:You may want to open a support case, as guessing what you are doing wrong may take weeks over forum posts. This functionality has no known issues, and it is leveraged by majority of customers. Thanks.
Cheers Gostev that answers my question I didnt know if it was expected behaviour or an actual issue . I'll raise a support call Monday and update with the findings.
iroche
Enthusiast

Post by iroche »

OK so I checked this out with Suppoty im not sure its the most intuitive method for exluding virtual machines but this is what I was given. I have made the recommended changes hopefully the relevant virtual machines will be excluded now.

""To exclude VMs from a VM container (for example, if you need to back up the whole ESX server excluding several VMs running on this server), click the VMs tab. Click the Add… button on the right and select VMs that should be excluded. To display all hosts added to Veeam Backup & Replication 5.0, select the Show full hierarchy check box. To facilitate objects selection, you can switch between the Hosts and Clusters, VMs and Templates and Datastores and VMs views, and use the search field just as in the main window of the wizard.""
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Ian, actually this is the same copy/paste from the user guide, p.61, which I was referring to in my first post here.. ;)
iroche
Enthusiast

Post by iroche »

foggy wrote:Ian, actually this is the same copy/paste from the user guide, p.61, which I was referring to in my first post here.. ;)
It is indeed Foggy hopefully the job will be clean tonight :D