Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
rcocchiararo
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Roberto Cocchiararo

2 locations - FC tape library

Post by rcocchiararo »

Hi there

I currently run Veeam on an old hp dl380g5 (2 cpus, 8 cores i believe), 32gb ram, and use it to backup my vmware cluster (3 hosts, vmware essentials). (hosts connected to SAN for storage, tape library connected to SAN for the same purpose, veeam server connected to SAN too).

For many reasons, my infrastucture will change, i will have 3 hyper-v servers forming a cluster and a storage over 10 gbe network.

Since there is no SAN, is there a way to set one of my old servers (those 3 will got to a new location and i will be using veeam replication to either all of them or 2 of them, using the old storage) as a proxy/tape server, and either from the replicas or another storage location take my backups to the tapes?

i want to avoid using one of the new servers also as the veeam server, adding the FC card and directly attaching the library, if posible.

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... l?ver=95u4

I believe that at least part of what i mentioned should be possible.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: 2 locations - FC tape library

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
although it's not really a good practice to use old hardware for backup (which is an insurance), technically you can re-use your hardware.

But I would not backup from replica for the following reasons:
- no file-indexing possible
- No SQL Point in Time recovery
- No CBT
- More complex restore mechanisms
- Additional license usage if you also backup from production

Especially in small environments, I would use an "all-in-one" Veeam server to avoid chicken-egg problems. But technically you can install the backup server on Hyper-V and connect the tape library to a remote tape server.

Best regards,
Hannes