Maintain control of your Microsoft 365 data
Geest IT
Lurker
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Geest Line IT

Office 365 Backup Repositories Upgrade - Warning

Post by Geest IT » 1 person likes this post

Hi All,

This is more of an 'info/warning' note than anything.

The release notes for 365 Backup V4 do clearly state that the upgrade process for repositories can be slow and long. This is something that was picked up by a couple of people when the V3 release happened. To their credit, Veeam have put a decent warning in the release notes for V4.

It's worth highlighting that this information is in a large 'Important Note' section at the top of page 12 of the ACTUAL release notes found here --> https://www.veeam.com/veeam_backup_micr ... tes_rn.pdf

DO NOT rely on the release notes here --> https://my.veeam.com/#/kb3035
These are too short and make no mention of repository upgrade time. They do refer you to the proper release notes but I'm sure some people will fall foul of 'TLDR' or indeed even miss the reference to the full notes by skimming (we ALL do it!).

We are running the upgrade now on our 365 repo and it has been stuck at 17% for well over 2 hours now (this is normal). With a repo around 1TB in size, we will be monitoring this closely until around midnight to see when it finishes and get a rough timescale.

May post an update on the estimated time it took once it has actually finished.

Just sharing the experience :-)

Dom
on behalf of Geest IT
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: Office 365 Backup Repositories Upgrade - Warning

Post by Gostev »

Thanks, Dom.

@Polina, can you add this warning to the KB article as well?
I see there's much red font already, so make it more red please :)
Polina
Veeam Software
Liked: 681 times
Full Name: Polina Vasileva

Post by Polina »

Hi Dom,

Are you upgrading from 4.0.0.1345 or an earlier version? It shouldn't take long when performing an upgrade from the 4.0GA, for earlier versions, it's expected and the corresponding notes are added to the documentation.
The 4a Release Notes are available by this link https://www.veeam.com/veeam_backup_micr ... tes_rn.pdf (you can find it both in the KB3035 and on the product download page)

@Gostev, please check out the link above. If needed, the 4.0 RN will be updated accordingly.

Thanks!
rura_at_tivoli
Novice
Liked: 1 time

Post by rura_at_tivoli » 1 person likes this post

I believe our 6TB repository took between 12-24 hours to complete when upgrading from v3 to v4.
Geest IT
Lurker
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Geest Line IT

Post by Geest IT » 1 person likes this post

@Polina - We upgraded from V3 to V4 which could explain the lengthy upgrade time (approx. 7hours for our 1.5TB repo).

My original post was not an effort to highlight the absence of info in the RN, simply to warn others who may not actually read them.

After all, we are ALL guilty of not reading RNs or indeed lengthy tech docs before embarking on upgrades or deployments :-)
Polina
Veeam Software
Liked: 681 times
Full Name: Polina Vasileva

Post by Polina »

Thank you for your feedback :)

We're also researching the possible ways to improve upgrade speeds and reduce maintenance windows in the future.