Maintain control of your Microsoft 365 data
RyZaMa
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Ryan Locking

SMB 3.0 Credential passthrough coming?

Post by RyZaMa »

Hello Veeam team,

We are excited about this product, but in our testing we have hit a major road block. We need to be able to have SMB 3.0 credential passthrough into our SMB shares on our storage systems. To be honest we are quite surprised this feature is not included, and want to confirm this is on your road map. This is currently a show stopper for us, and doing the suggested work arounds by adding our backup appliance system to the Active Directory where our Veeam software runs is not something we are willing to do at this point by how we have things setup.

All other backup software I've ever used allows the software to pass through the SMB credential to authenticate to the share.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6715 times

Re: SMB 3.0 Credential passthrough coming?

Post by Gostev »

Hello!

Actually, we don't recommend using SMB share as a backup target due to SMB design peculiarities, which commonly results in data loss with non-continuously available shares. Does your NAS have iSCSI interface?

Other than that, you should be able to do this today. You should simply grant SMB share access to the VBO server computer account. But again, non-CA SMB shares are specifically not recommended as backup targets.

Thanks!
RyZaMa
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Ryan Locking

Re: SMB 3.0 Credential passthrough coming?

Post by RyZaMa »

Hi Gostev,

Thank you very much for taking the time to respond.

I can understand with older versions of SMB, but with SMB 3.0 and a continuous available setup of the share, I would feel this is an acceptable backup destination target? The fact that the product provides support for SMB 3.0 as a target, I don't see the harm is adding in credential pass-through so we don't have to jump through hoops to get authenticated. Our backup storage system does not allow for us to add computer accounts thus our situation.

I can understand Veeam's official position being SMB 3.0+ and CA required to be officially supported.