PowerShell script exchange
RWeiss
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times

Start-VBRHvRestoreVM: No Overwrite and Specify Paths

Post by RWeiss »

Hello

I am trying to figure out two things regarding the Start-VBRHvRestoreVM command - we are trying to use this on a VeeamZIP backup which we use as a template for new VMs having multiple disks.

1. I was surprised that it overwrites existing VMs and Disks by default. When I restore a backup manually, I have to confirm this first. Is there an option to enable this as? Currently it just overwrites without any notification or warning.
2. We would like to specify the locations of the disks. When restoring the VeeamZIP backup manually, it proposes the correct locations (in our case D:\Hyper-V for the configuration and D:\Hyper-V\Virtual Hard Disks, F:\Hyper-V\Virtual Hard Disks, T:\Hyper-V\Virtual Hard Disks for the disks). We also have the option to adapt these settings manually. When doing the same thing with the powershell command, it stores everything in D:\Hyper-V (i.e. does not use the default settings that we would get when doing it through the front-end) and I only found the option '-Path' but there we can only specify a single path.

Are there settings that I am missing? Both would be quite important to us to avoid accidentally deleting VMs or disks (we will of course add some routine to the script to try to avoid this but it's still a bit scary if there is no warning or confirmation required) and to directly restore the disks to the correct volumes instead of restoring and then moving.

Many thanks
Roy
oleg.feoktistov
Veeam Software
Liked: 636 times
Full Name: Oleg Feoktistov

Re: Start-VBRHvRestoreVM: No Overwrite and Specify Paths

Post by oleg.feoktistov »

Hi,

You're right. You cannot specify separate paths for configuration files and virtual disks when using Start-VBRHvRestoreVM cmdlet.
Overwrite validation is also not available for this cmdlet. But I noted your comments as a Feature Request for future releases.

Thank you!
RWeiss
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times

Re: Start-VBRHvRestoreVM: No Overwrite and Specify Paths

Post by RWeiss »

Hi Oleg

That's sad to hear - nevertheless, thanks for the quick reply and adding it as a feature request!