Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
unsichtbarre
Service Provider
Liked: 39 times
Full Name: John Borhek

Using Amazon as a repository for Veeam Backup and Replication

Post by unsichtbarre »

Howdy all!

I am considering using Amazon Object Storage as a repository for Veeam Backup and Replication (Enterprise).

My biggest concern is what are the likely (real world) costs. Every time I have ever used Amazon the actual cost has ended up being much higher that anything I came up with in estimation and using the Amazon calculator.

What I was wondering is: does anybody have experience using Amazon as Repository (for VM forward and/or reverse incrimental) and not simply as a VTL? What could I expect per GB or TB? What about transfer charges?

THX in advance!
John Borhek, Solutions Architect
https://vmsources.com
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2257 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Using Amazon as a repository for Veeam Backup and Replication

Post by veremin » 1 person likes this post

Quick question before dig deeper into cost estimation - are you planning to use object storage as your primary backup repository? If so, then, it's not currently possible, as of now you can:

* move old backups there
* copy all backups there, as soon as they are created
* both

And all of this capabilities are represented by Capacity Tier functionality. Anything from this list that looks like something you're after?

Thanks!
unsichtbarre
Service Provider
Liked: 39 times
Full Name: John Borhek

Post by unsichtbarre »

Right now, I am planning on creating as small a repository as possible on my SSD vSAN to store primary backups.

I'd like to limit the size as much as possible because this is high cost storage.

In direct answer to your query, I'd like nearly synchronous backups to Amazon with fast restore possible from about 30 days of daily incremental VMware backups, probably 20TB

I already use Amazon glacier VTL, maybe this is as good as it gets?
John Borhek, Solutions Architect
https://vmsources.com
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6700 times

Post by Gostev »

Are you "married" to Amazon though? Because there are many alternatives with different (and more predictable) licensing.