Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
lostbackups
Influencer
Liked: 1 time

Will backup, backup copy and replication jobs all pulling from the same storage location negatively impact performance?

Post by lostbackups »

I have a small VMware vSphere site with about 15 VMs all running on 2 ESXi hosts and a single storage controller for VM storage. The storage controller uses 1GB iSCSI - 2 controllers inside with 4 ports each. IOPS never seems to be an issue and I am running backup jobs and backup copy jobs everyday starting at 6PM and I don't really ever see any performance issues on the storage controller. I am now looking at adding VM replication jobs to a secondary ESXi server for DR. So I will effectively have 3 different types of Veeam jobs all pulling from the same source - the iSCSI storage controller.

I remember reading or hearing something about how Veeam will never tax the storage location or something along those lines... I just don't want to negatively affect production performance of my VM storage.
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 531 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Re: Will backup, backup copy and replication jobs all pulling from the same storage location negatively impact performan

Post by PetrM »

Hello,

I think the best way to answer this question is to test it out of production hours, results can be different depending on specific environment.
You may take a look at I/O control settings, could be useful in your case.

One more option is to avoid running backup and replication jobs at the same time.

Thanks!