Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
Tyree
Novice
Liked: 1 time

Dell Powervault Tape Loader

Post by Tyree »

Hi,

I have been trying to work out how to get veeam to recognise our tape loader (Dell Powervault TL1000) and I'm wondering if someone can help me understand how veeam works.

I believe that the tape loader is not being recognised only the drive because if I manually load the tape from a slot into the drive I can backup, but when I just load a tape into the library slots it says that the tapes are offline.

When I look at the libraries under the tape infrastructure the number of slots against the drive is 0. Without it recognising the loader if we need to run over to 2 tapes it will wait for us to manually load the second tape. We have Veeam Backup & Replication 9.5 Update 4 installed on physical 2019 Server with Tape Library attached via FibreChannel.

Is there a way to get veeam to recognise the tape library / slots? Am I missing something?
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2877 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Dell Powervault Tape Loader

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
and welcome to the forums.

Veeam uses the Windows drivers. So the first step is to make sure that the library is shown correctly in the Windows device manager. I see several posts with TL1000, so I assume that it works fine with Veeam.

After that, it should show up correctly in the libraries section of the tape infrastructure

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... l?ver=95u4

Best regards,
Hannes
Tyree
Novice

Post by Tyree »

Hi,

I have installed all the drivers for the tape loader from dell's website, can anyone with the TL1000 point me in the right direction as to how it should appear in device manager.

I have a device listed under Tape Drives called "IBM Ultrium 8 HH 3580 Tape Drive" but I don't see any Tape Loader devices?

Thanks
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Tyree,

Look under Medium Changes devices in the Device Manager.

Tyree
Novice

Post by Tyree »

Hi,
Thanks for that info, That's what I'm missing. The Medium Changer is not even listed in device manager.
I'll have to do some more research and see if I can find out why it's missing.
Tyree
Novice

Post by Tyree » 1 person likes this post

I was able to get it working, for anyone that finds this, you have to login to the tape library web interface and set the library mode from sequential to random then the media server appears in device manager and Veeam.

Thanks for everyone's help.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Tyree,

Glad you nailed it and thanks for sharing the update with the community. Cheers!