Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
mtellefson
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Mark Tellefson

Multiple vbk files and old vib files

Post by mtellefson »

In my QNAP backup storage under this particular backup set I have 2 vbk files. It is set to 7 restore points. One vbk is dated 1-24-20 and there are vib files for 1-27-20 and 1-28-20.
The other vbk file has 1-6-20 in the name and was last modified 1-16-20. There are 10 more vib files from various dates in 2019 and one in 2018. Can I delete this second vbk file and the old vib files?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6725 times

Re: Multiple vbk files and old vib files

Post by Gostev »

Yes.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Looks strange, haven't you recently changed any of the related job settings (retention, active/synthetic fulls)? What are the current settings for this job in terms of the backup method selected and how is it scheduled? Generally, yes, you can remove older backups and then check if any of them are still displayed as missing in Veeam B&R console but I just wanted to make sure the job acts as expected. Thanks!
mtellefson
Novice

Post by mtellefson »

Thanks for the reply Foggy. I didn't see it until today and now I have a new problem. It is setup with 7 restore points, incremental and no synthetic full backups.

I removed the older vbk and vib files. Now I found in Backups->Properties where I can see the associated files and it is looking for the older vbk file that I deleted. I found instructions for how to make it forget the missing file but in the backup properties it doesn't have the red X so the forget option isn't available.

There are 2 copies of each of my jobs in the backups. One shows as disk(imported) and the other as disk. The other jobs are working fine and cleaned up the old files correctly so they have a newer vbk file and associated vib files.

How can I get it to forget the missing vbk file or do I just delete it and recreate the backup since it will need to do a full backup anyway?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Hi Mark, I recommend asking support to look at your setup closer, it will be more effective. It might be a result of a repository migration, for example, or some other activity at some point in the past, our engineers will be able to assist with cleaning things up.
mtellefson
Novice

Post by mtellefson »

I will open a support case. Thanks.
mtellefson
Novice

Post by mtellefson »

We have a rental license through a local company and my license doesn't show up. Should I still be able to create a ticket?
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2296 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur »

You have to go to your local Company. Only the owner of the rental license can open a SR for their customers.
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
mtellefson
Novice

Post by mtellefson »

Thanks.