Agent-based backup of Windows, Linux, Max, AIX and Solaris machines.
backupquestions
Expert
Liked: 21 times
Full Name: Alabaster McJenkins

Cloud Connect future?

Post by backupquestions »

I'm getting ready to deploy several environments and am looking forward to the extra features for object storage integration in V10. We are paying quite a bit for cloud connect at some larger sites, and before I go sign up everyone with VCC vendor for short term offsite copies, I am wondering if I would be better off with just using the copy mode to object storage for this instead. Or, is Veeam Cloud connect going to have a "several more years" future?

I just need to gain an understanding of the vision for VCC product. I want to roll things out to all the locations in the best way. Object storage will offer significantly less cost for the offsite backup, but VCC can work well too. Seems like the "every 4 hour" built in deal to object storage is going to function more reliably than what VCC is possibly...

Anyway, if there is any info on this kind of stuff please let me know so I can plan for what I want to do going forward.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2877 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Cloud Connect future?

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
cloud connect will continue to exist. There are no plans to discontinue it.

Although there are some overlaps, VCC and capacity tier are built for different user cases:
- Capacity tier copy mode: for end users
- Cloud Connect: for managed service providers. additional features like remote management, replication and it also works with normal storage.

Yes, capacity tier copy mode will be cheaper in most cases than VCC-backup. Also the 4h window does not exist for copy mode. In V10, the copy process starts as soon as the backup finished (and task slots are available on the repository)

Best regards,
Hannes
jmmarton
Veeam Software
Liked: 309 times
Full Name: Joe Marton

Post by jmmarton » 1 person likes this post

Also, keep in mind some VCSPs may also offer S3 services. This would allow you to use a single provider, going with Cloud Connect vs Capacity Tier (via S3-compatible) depending upon use case and desired and features. For example, "Insider Protection" is something that is only available via Cloud Connect.

Joe
backupquestions
Expert
Liked: 21 times
Full Name: Alabaster McJenkins

Post by backupquestions »

Thanks for the replies guys.

As far as insider protection, the new immutability with s3 essentially is the same kind of feature in the end I thought?

Insider protection just allows you to restore a chain back to your cloud connect repo if it got deleted etc right? By request made to the service provider or whatever.

S3 immutability provides same end goal of "dont let ransomware or deletion screw me over".

Let me know if wrong.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2877 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
no, you are right. S3 object lock / immutability prevents against deletion.

Best regards,
Hannes