Backup of NAS, file shares, file servers and object storage.
redhorse
Expert
Liked: 11 times
Full Name: RH

File Share on Remote Side

Post by redhorse »

Hello,

we‘ve got several Synology NAS in our branch offices to provide a file share for the colleagues on side. Today we use simple backup on rotating external harddisks but this is really an annoying process.

So, I wonder if v10 can provide a better and integrated solution for the NAS backup. Perhaps someone can answer my open questions:

1. Is it possible to backup remote file shares without having any other server on site? So, there is neither a Veeam software component nor a backup repository. The backup must be transferred directly to our main repository.

2. Is it possible to add the NAS backup to tape jobs?

3. Is it possible to add the NAS backup to backup copy jobs?
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2276 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: File Share on Remote Side

Post by Mildur »

1. If you have a good/stable network connection and cifs access from main site to the remote site, it should work. An option would be a vpn solution.

2. You can configure a secondary location with a longer retention setting

I don‘t have tested tape yet :-)
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
redhorse
Expert
Liked: 11 times
Full Name: RH

Post by redhorse »

Thanks, the connection to the remote office is reliable. But what would happen in case of problems when the line goes offline during the backup?
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hello redhorse,
Is it possible to backup remote file shares without having any other server on site? So, there is neither a Veeam software component nor a backup repository. The backup must be transferred directly to our main repository.
It's possible but in case of any connectivity issues backup job simply fails. I'd recommend to setup a file proxy and cache repository at the ROBO: that's going to work much faster and components will retry on their own (without failing the job run) in case on temporary connectivity issues.
2. Is it possible to add the NAS backup to tape jobs?
Only via file to tape job, but it's still recommend to keep using file to tape jobs with file share as a source.
3. Is it possible to add the NAS backup to backup copy jobs?
Yes, we've integrated backup copy jobs directly to the primary nas backup job - you just need to set the target repository at the secondary target step of backup job and you are good to go.