Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
RooDBwoY
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: James Hamilton

Veeam WAN Replication and VMware VDR co-existence?

Post by RooDBwoY »

Currently I'm still making use of VCB, nightly, but will shortly be changing over to VDR for a while for normal VM backups before potentially investing in a better solution....

At the moment, if my Veeam WAN replication job is running and then VCB starts on the same VM, then they pretty much fight over who owns the snapshot and there's a conflict when it comes to deleting the snapshot. It doesn't appear to do any damage but it is quite concerning. Both copies of the VM appear in tact (Veeam and VCB) but it looks alarming in the logs. Whoever finishes last gets to delete the snapshot/s.

I imagine this is going to get even more complicated when two solutions are using the CBT feature of the vStorage API and come to do their differential/de-duplicated backups during roughly the same timeframe (Ie. in my situation, Veeam and vDR). As I understand it, CBT works by presenting all the changed blocks since the 'last backup operation'. Surely this produce erroneous snapshots if Veeam was the last solution to backup the VM, then along comes VDR and reads the changed block information (which is actually the changed blocks since Veeam last took a backup, NOT since VDR last performed its backup)?

Can anyone shed any definitive light on this?

Thanks in advance.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: Veeam WAN Replication and VMware VDR co-existence?

Post by Gostev »

Everything will be fine. This question is actually answered in the sticky FAQ topic. Thanks.
RooDBwoY
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: James Hamilton

Re: Veeam WAN Replication and VMware VDR co-existence?

Post by RooDBwoY »

Oh, so it is. I've read that thread exhasutively but have obviously missed the ENTIRE vStorage API section. Maybe it's time for some glasses :(

Thanks anyway, that's good news for me!