Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
rurouni
Enthusiast
Liked: 6 times

Positioning gateway server for StoreOnce repository with WAN

Post by rurouni »

Hello, I'm joining this conversation to consider our current design.

We have Remote offices with Veeam agents for servers backuping on a local repository.(Dedicated Raid on local server).
Copy Jobs are performed to target Storeonce Array in Datacenter.
To improve copy Job performance during Copy sessions, the Gateway Server for the Target Copy Job Repository has been set to the Branch office Server to benefit from source side catalyst deduplication from what i can recall.
We recently observed that copy Job could take a long time to perform Merge operations and by the way, some network traffic was observed between the Storeonce Appliance and Remote backup Server which was not expected.
I guess there is a link between those long operation and the traffic observed.

I suppose the gateway server processes the Merge operations on the Storeonce remotely. If i am guessing right, what would be the proper design to perform a copy job from a remote office with internal repository? When i read the Backup Copy Architecture document, it is specified to use a Source Gateway server and Target Gateway Server.

Thank you for your replies.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2877 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Positioning gateway server for StoreOnce repository with WAN

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
I split your question away from the other topic, as it is something different.

I assume that it has something to do with the high bandwidth / low bandwidth catalyst settings or the checkbox "gateway server and StoreOnce are connected over WAN"

In general, your design is okay.

Best regards,
Hannes