Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
jen0va
Service Provider
Liked: never

NSX-T Segments support V10

Post by jen0va »

Hello folks,

I would like to know if NSX-T logical segments will be supported in next version/update of Veeam Backup & Replication, like v10 ?
Actually backup/restore of VMs which are attached to logical segments is fine. It's a bit more complicated when we want to use ProxyFLR Appliance for Linux, because Veeam does simply not see Logical Segments on N-VDS and it's impossible to get network for it.
I've heard about different API calls from NSX-T which makes Veeam integration with vCenter/NSX Manager impossible yet, but is it planned ?

Thank you.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: NSX-T Segments support V10

Post by Gostev »

Hello!

Yes, v10 supports NSX-T. From What's New draft:
in What's New in v10 we wrote:VMs that use VMware NSX-T networking are now correctly replicated and restored with full and instant VM recovery. Previously, such VMs were restored and powered on with their vNICs disconnected from the network, and thus not immediately usable.
Thanks!
jen0va
Service Provider

Post by jen0va »

Thank you Gostev for your lighthning response but Please allow me to be more specific.
I said that backup/restore is already fine, I don’t have issues with network mapping, as it is already resolved in 9.5u4b (visible on release notes)
However, selecting a logical segment for proxy FLR appliance is impossible.
Is there already a patch for 9.5u4b? I saw something about This for Veeam AWS in a kb. Or will v10 fully support NSX-T, like attach logical segments for Veeam components ?

Thanks
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1401 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Post by Andreas Neufert »

I will check with our QA. Please give me some time.
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management

QA answered.
v10 OtherOS appliance has NSX-t support
vLAB Appliance do not has NSX-t support, yet.
jen0va
Service Provider

Post by jen0va »

Hello Andreas,

Perfect, This is precisely what I’ve expected.
Thank you.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

jen0va wrote: Feb 11, 2020 5:35 pmI said that backup/restore is already fine, I don’t have issues with network mapping, as it is already resolved in 9.5u4b (visible on release notes)
Can you please point me where do you see this? As previously, this support was limited to VMware Cloud on AWS. So, I want to make sure that documentation for older versions is correct in that regard.
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management

I am only aware of a private fix for 9.5U4b that can be retrieved by a support ticket.
jen0va
Service Provider

Post by jen0va »

@Gostev : Actually I saw this here : https://vinfrastructure.it/2019/07/veea ... update-4b/
(Thought it was official but no, so possibly irrelevant...) IT Team said that there were no issue for Backup/Restore ops but I will double-check on that because web site clearly says that a fix is mandatory to get this working. So there could be a mistake/confusion here.

@Andreas : I've created a support ticket to get the fix (04000276). I'll keep you informed if maybe it also fixes the network mapping for the proxy FLR appliance (A.K.A "OtherOS appliance")

Thank you all :)
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management

Post by Andreas Neufert » 1 person likes this post

Better ask for v10 access at support (fully supported RTM). There is 6 month QA between the patch and RTM.
marcio.defreitas
Veeam Software
Liked: 9 times
Full Name: Marcio de Freitas

Post by marcio.defreitas »

Hello Andreas,

Is there any information about VBR support of NSX-t for Virtual lab? I found a workaround for this: vmware-vsphere-f24/surebackup-and-nsx-t ... 6b5c26f484

However, customer wants to know if there is a working in progress with our R&D team to include this support on next versions. Currently, this customer is working with OCVS and VDRO and he is not able to work with Virtual Labs to test his DR Plan.

Thanks,

Marcio de Freitas
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management

Thanks for sharing this feedback. v12 of Veeam will not have this functionality, but it is a feature request for one of the upcoming updates/versions. In general Veeam does not communicate upcoming features until they are already in beta stage, so I can not share more details.
kirst.mcleod
Novice
Full Name: Kirsty McLeod

[MERGED]NSX-t support for Virtual Labs

Post by kirst.mcleod »

Hello,

My colleagues are currently implementing NSX-t into our virtual environment. A few VM's have been migrated over to the new NSX-t segment networks at this point. I have been updating our virtual labs to accomodate this change and came across an issue today in testing, in that the network mappings no longer work during recovery. This is both applicable for virtual labs used for SureBackup and also VDRO.

From what I have read today it appears that virtual labs do not currently support NSX-t? Is there anything in the roadmap for this to be supported in later versions?

This is obviously a bit of a showstopper in being able to perform testing using virtual labs, primarily for our VDRO environment where we run DR testing every few months, and I have DR business tests scheduled for 2 weeks time.

I have started to read the following forum post but I would appreciate some assistance in relation to what we require to do. The article looks to be primarily focussed on SureBackup, but I am more foccussed on trying to get a workaround in place for our VDRO plans for isolated lab testing.

vmware-vsphere-f24/surebackup-and-nsx-t ... 81255.html

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,
Kirst
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2223 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur »

Hi Kirst

I moved your post to this topic.
Please read the comments above. V12 will not have SureBackup Integration with NSX-T.
We count your request as +1 of course for a future version.

Thanks
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software