Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Tom333
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Tom Handley

Issues after upgrading to ESXi 5.0

Post by Tom333 »

I upgraded my vCenter to v5.0 (was 4.1) and also rebuilt my host with 5.0 (was 4.1u1). I removed the old server and vCenter from the Servers list, created new jobs however when I tried to run the new job I get the following error:

Backing up object "[OS_1] Tom-VC01/Tom-VC01.vmdk"
BackupDiskFull failed
Client error: Failed to open VDDK disk [[OS_1] Tom-VC01/Tom-VC01-000001.vmdk] ( is read-only mode - [true] )
Failed to open VMDK.
Logon attempt with parameters [VC/ESX: [192.168.1.40];Port: 902;Login: [root];VMX Spec: [moref=2];Snapshot mor: [2-snapshot-101];Transports: [hotadd]] failed because of the following errors:

Server error: End of file

Any clues as to what I can do to fix this please?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Issues after upgrading to ESXi 5.0

Post by foggy »

Tom, vSphere 5 is not currently supported, it just became available last week and we need time to perform thorough testing against it. Please track this forum for updates on this. Thanks.
Tom333
Novice

Post by Tom333 »

Happy to beta test
jamessa
Enthusiast
Full Name: Jamie Andrews

Post by jamessa »

Is there an ETA? This is the only thing holding us back from going to 5.0.
Sethbartlett
Veteran
Liked: 26 times
Full Name: Seth Bartlett

Post by Sethbartlett »

It looks like you are using hotadd mode and backing up a VM that may be 2008 R2. There is a known issue with hot-add/quiescence causing failures. You could try turning quiescence off and using VSS instead.
Skype: Sethbartlett88 - Make sure to label who you are and why you want to add me ;)
Twitter: @sethbartlett
If my post was helpful, please like it. Sometimes twitter is quicker to hit me up if you need me.
Tom333
Novice

Post by Tom333 »

Sethbartlett wrote:It looks like you are using hotadd mode and backing up a VM that may be 2008 R2. There is a known issue with hot-add/quiescence causing failures. You could try turning quiescence off and using VSS instead.
This has fixed the error but what do I lose by disabling quiescence?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Your VM backups will be in crash consistent state. If you're backing up windows VMs you want to enable "application-aware image processing" as it is recommended in the sticky F.A.Q. topic.
Tom333
Novice

Post by Tom333 »

Hopefully this will be fixed in the next product update?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6703 times

Post by Gostev »

Possibly. But still, as it was already mentioned before, we highly recommend enabling application-aware processing to ensure correct Microsoft applications processing during backup and recovery. If you use VMware queiscense only, VMs will not be processed in the application-aware manner. Enabling application-aware processing is the only way to make image-level backup and recovery processes meet Microsoft's application requirements. Backup and recovery processes not following these requirements are not supported by Microsoft. Just something to keep in mind when making the decision.

For more information with Microsoft Exchange as an example, you can view the Running Exchange on VMware webinar.