Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
FlyingBrick
Lurker
Liked: never

Failed to set "Tape Service Owner"

Post by FlyingBrick »

Hi all.

Just doing a new install on a physical machine, and when adding the Tape Infrastructure, it's creating the following errors:

Starting saving job
Registering client SERVER00 for package Transport
Registering client SERVER00 for package Tape Proxy
Discovering installed packages
All required packages have been successfully installed

Error Setting tape service owner Error: The RPC server is unavailable.
RPC function call failed. Function name: [InvokerTestConnection]. Target machine: [<ServerName>:<ServerPort>]. The RPC server is unavailable.
RPC function call failed. Function name: [InvokerTestConnection]. Target machine: [<ServerName>:<ServerPort>]. Error Failed to save tape server: The RPC server is unavailable.
RPC function call failed. Function name: [InvokerTestConnection]. Target machine: [<ServerName>:<ServerPort>]. Error Infrastructure item save failed Error: The RPC server is unavailable.
RPC function call failed. Function name: [InvokerTestConnection]. Target machine: [<ServerName>:<ServerPort>]

There is no Veeam tape service on the machine, like the previous server so I'm assuming it's failing to install the Windows service.

Is there a log I can look at for more information?

Thanks.
FlyingBrick
Lurker
Liked: never

Re: Failed to set "Tape Service Owner"

Post by FlyingBrick »

Fixed.
Really not sure why but changing the MSL to random rather than ordered fixed it instantly.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Failed to set "Tape Service Owner"

Post by Dima P. »

Hello FlyingBrick,

Glad that the issue is resolved. Can you please clarify if the port number was modified or you've configured antivirus exclusions properly (I am sorry, I did not get the MSL part of your post)? Cheers!