Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
Lee_Davis
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Lee Davis

Backup and Replication Failover

Post by Lee_Davis »

Hi,

I am currently looking into a DR plan and using Veeam Backup and Replication for Fail over

i currently have 2 subnets, production and DR these are at different locations

on my production subnet i am using backup and replication to backup to the production site and then replicating to the DR site, my backup server is currently at the production site, which if my understanding is correct to initiate fail over should we have the backup and replication server at the DR location? so we can fail over from the veeam console should we lose production, do i then have a proxy at production location.

so my question is do we need my backup server at DR location or can i have one at each site and have the communicate to each other so i can failover in the event of a failure

thanks in advance, hope this makes sense
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Backup and Replication Failover

Post by foggy »

Hi Lee, to be able to failover using Veeam B&R, you need to have it in DR site. No need to have two instances, you can have a single instance to be responsible for both backup and replication, just make sure you have proxies in the production site. Alternatively, you can have a dedicated Veeam B&R instance solely for replication, but that adds some overhead in terms of managing both of them.
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 525 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Post by PetrM »

Hi Lee,

One more benefit of having the single VBR instance on DR site is that you may use remote replica from backup to reduce the workload on the infrastructure.
Remote replica from backup uses already existing backup chain instead of reading VM data from the production environment.

Thanks!
Lee_Davis
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Lee Davis

Post by Lee_Davis »

Will this work even though my backups are on production subnet and not stored on DR subnet
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

This is the exact scenario it was designed for - and there's even WAN acceleration possible for slower links.