Agent-based backup of Windows, Linux, Max, AIX and Solaris machines.
dtnsup
Novice
Liked: never

License count for agents instances

Post by dtnsup »

Hello,

I have a question regarding the license count and the multipliers for VBR and agent backups. We have 2 VBR servers with Enterprise Manager installed, all are version 9.5 Update 4a (9.5.4.2753) licensed with perpetual licences for 18 Sockets. In Enterprise Manager in the licensing summary I have 4 servers with multipliere 1.5 consuming the 6 included free agent instances.

I am refering to the licensing policy at https://www.veeam.com/licensing-policy.html:
According to chapter 2.1.1 (Calculating Veeam Universal License requirements) it states "All protected workloads are treated equally and consume 1 Instance per Licensed Unit".

So shouldn't be the multiplier exactly 1 point for 1 server? Is there a difference between my instance license and the mentioned "VULs".

Thanks and regards,
Jan
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: License count for agents instances

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Jan,

Can you please clarify your license edition? Thanks!
dtnsup
Novice

Post by dtnsup »

Hello Dima,

our edition is Veeam Availability Suite Enterprise.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Looks like the instance value is being calculated based on the edition of your socket-based license, since its Enterprise - every sever consumes 1.5 instance. Asked licencing guru to comment, stay tuned.
dalbertson
Veeam Software
Liked: 175 times
Full Name: Dustin Albertson

Post by dalbertson »

Jan,

Did you merge your license to a VUL license or do you know if you are still using a VIL license (instance based)?
Dustin Albertson | Director of Product Management - Cloud & Applications | Veeam Product Management, Alliances
dtnsup
Novice

Post by dtnsup »

Previously we had a merged license including 10 instances. These instances expired and were not renewed under the impression that there was no need to.

After that we installed a new license file for Veeam Availability Suite. This license includes just Veeam B&R for 18 sockets and the Enterprise Edition for Veeam ONE. There is no mention of agents or instances.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

You're using Veeam Instance License along with VB&R 9.5 Update 4, while quoting Veeam Universal License policy which applies to VB&R v10 and higher, thus, the said discrepancy. Thanks!
dtnsup
Novice

Post by dtnsup »

Hello Veremin,

I am quoting the general Veeam license URL (https://www.veeam.com/licensing-policy.html). I would expect that the terms at this page do either apply to the current version (which ist 9.5 U4b if I am not mistaken) or to a version wich is explicitly mentioned in any of these terms.

I can not find a single occurence mentioning version 10 at this page, whereas version 9.5 is named explicitly to apply to the VUL licensing. Furthermore as far as I know version 10 is not even GA by today. So can you please clarify on that?

Regards,
Jan
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

v10 RTM was released several weeks ago and it's expected to GA in few days. So, the licensing policy has been updated to apply to the latest product version which is v10 (Veeam Universal License). Thanks!