Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
tsrs
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Tim Scheers

Windows 10 build 1909 support

Post by tsrs »

Hi,

Is there any information available on Windows 10 build 1909 support?

Thanks!
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 680 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Re: Windows 10 build 1909 support

Post by Egor Yakovlev » 1 person likes this post

Hi Tim,

QA is currently performing tests against fresh build.
Everything seems fine so far, so stay tuned for the official change on documentation page.

Thanks!
n549069
Lurker
Full Name: Nancy Postler

Re: Windows 10 build 1909 support - Wireless NIC issue

Post by n549069 »

After a Veeam Agent Restore of a Win 10 Laptop, the Wireless NIC is disabled. In the Device Manager, even if it is uninstalled and the driver re-installed, it will not enable. This is happening when we take a baseline image of a machine and restore that image to another exact unit. If anyone has experienced this problem, what is the resolution?
wishr
Veteran
Liked: 453 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Post by wishr »

Hi Nancy,

This issue should be reported to the support team directly since deep investigation is required. Please let us know your support case ID once you get it.

Thanks
mashme
Influencer
Liked: 5 times

Post by mashme »

Hi Nancy,

same here with
Windows 10 1909
two fabricnew identical HP Desktop PC
with a REALTEK RTL8821CE WLAN Interface.

The wlan device of the cloned PC can not be activated. Uninstall and reinstall with the device manager does not help.
Do you have a support ID already?

Thanks!
wishr
Veteran

Post by wishr »

Hi Mashme,

I'd suggest raising an independent case if possible. Thanks.
mashme
Influencer

Post by mashme » 1 person likes this post

Hi Wishr,

here it is: [ID# 03909428]

Thank you!
lucasa
Lurker

[MERGED] Windows 10 1909 support

Post by lucasa »

Good morning Windows 10 1909 was released in late November. is version 3.0.2 fully compatible?
Thanks
wishr
Veteran

Post by wishr » 1 person likes this post

Hi Lucasa,

Please be aware there's a known issue with unbootable recovery ISOs when using VAW 3.0.2 with Windows 10 1909. We have a hotfix available for this issue, and customers with an active maintenance contract can obtain one through technical support. Built-in support for Windows 10 1909 will be included in the next agent release, which will come out next month along with Veeam Backup & Replication v10.

Thanks!
SnakeSK
Service Provider

Post by SnakeSK »

Fedor, are you aware that you market this product for end users to use on their personal PCs and so on? 1909 was released 4 months ago, another build is about to drop and you NOW write that you are aware of the issue and release a fix in February? Are you guys at Veeam even aware how lacking you cadence of updates are in the modern OS and App releases? Pardon me but I am shocked by this really, until I read your statement I was under impression that Veeam actually cares about its customers, I am reselling your products for servers and so on, I have my own server license which I paid for, for my personal use that I use on my home servers and on my workstation, I am on 1909 for about 2 months, just to read now that my backups are basically useless???? I have requested this hotfix (#03977613) through support, I really wonder if they provide it (even for free), and truly, if not, I am switching products, never heard of nonsense like this - you just pathetically listed some KB article and said, oh well, here are the product requirements, completely ignoring that the build you are ABOUT to support will be out for 6 months since its release, not a month, 6 months!

God this was an eye opener for me, really
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev » 3 people like this post

@SnakeSK if you want to continue to participate in this community, please be respectful to other members (especially those trying to help you) and avoid labeling their responses as "pathetic" and "nonsense".
SnakeSK wrote: Jan 29, 2020 8:18 pmFedor, are you aware that you market this product for end users to use on their personal PCs and so on?
There's some misunderstanding here, as this is definitely NOT our target customer segment, not even remotely. So much that we don't even sell licenses to end users for less than 30 workstations (that is the minimal purchase).

Having said that, we did release the patch for 1909 support months ago, so I'm not sure why are you saying it will only be released in February.

It's true that, outside of special cases, access to hotfixes and patches is limited to customers with active maintenance agreement only - this is clearly explained in our support policy. If this does not fit your needs or requirements, then it does make sense for you to choose another product with a different support policy for free offerings - simple as that. There's really no need to disrespect anyone just because you did not read the support policy before installing the product, or upgraded to 1909 without checking on its supportability by the software you have deployed. Especially so, there's no need to disrespect the good folks behind this forum, who are from Veeam R&D and don't make all those rules and policies in the first place.

Now, if what you say is true "I have my own server license which I paid for", then I guess I don't understand what is the problem in the first place? Because as a paying customer of Veeam Agent for Windows, you are eligible to receive all hotfixes and patches for this product. So, please do let us know if you have any difficulties with obtaining one.
SnakeSK
Service Provider

Post by SnakeSK »

Hi, thanks for the answer, there is nothing disrespectful regarding you as a company hiding behind your product requirements, especially when you are half year behind the adopted build of operating systems. You used to sell individual licenses, maybe you changed this after the licensing model change (which has been a headache for many, but you probably know how much of a market share you want to have and had). Where did you release the patch for 1909? As in the next sentence you state that it is only available to paying customers? That is not a patch, that is old product with fixed functionality behind a paywall. "Releasing" a patch is something completely different, you left ME as a user unaware of the product incompatibility, and if I would not stumbled upon this forum post, I would never know that there is another technical problem after restoring the machine, for me this kind of backup is completely useless. This happened to me also in July when you had problems with 1903, I was very thankful I had my 1809 media lying around, as media created with 1903 would not boot. Now this scenario repeat, only this time I did not need to restore anything.

I am sorry but I cannot rely on this as a backup solution after these facts, if you want to target the server segment, you should advise that people should not install these on the client workstations, maybe halt the installation altogether. As you stated, I closed the case already, I will look for another backup solution, I really liked the lightweightness of Veeam, but I need a product that works, not that I have to check for compatibility every week.

Thank you
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev » 3 people like this post

SnakeSK wrote: Feb 01, 2020 5:52 pmyou left ME as a user unaware of the product incompatibility
Just wanted to note that this is not a fair thing to say, because we have our system requirements clearly documented... you just chose to ignore them, regardless of the fact you already had this exact issue after upgrading to the previous Windows 10 release. So, I'm not really sure why it comes as a surprise to you that Microsoft tends to make "breaking" changes between releases. And it's a little bit naive to think that Veeam is somehow the only product that is affected by those OS changes - while other products (at least those providing the same level of capabilities) are somehow magically not impacted by these same changes.

But in any case, thank you very much for the positive comment about the product itself - I hope we can remain friends at least on these grounds :D even if our support policy for the free offerings does not match your needs.
asdffdsa6131
Expert
Liked: 24 times

Post by asdffdsa6131 »

Gostev,
thanks much for the free vagent, free vbar and free veeampn.

there are many free and open-source backups programs out there, but i trust veeam, as it is a commercial company offering a free edition.

i understand that veeam is limited in its ability to offer free tech support for free products.

however, please consider that if you offer a free product, there is a basic expectation for support.
given,
1. veeam knows there is an issue with recovery on windows 1909. nothing is worse then trying to recover from a disaster to find out you cannot recover.
this in fact happened to me, at my last company, when trying to recover a server, there was an issue with mbr/gpt.
as a paid customer, i got level 1 support, got the issue resolved and then veeam updated the on-line manual to be clear about it.

2. veeam has a hot-fix patch for windows 1909.

please release it to everybody.

thanks, respectfully,
david
SnakeSK
Service Provider

Post by SnakeSK »

Yes sorry that was probably too harsh to say, BUT, you have to understand that I cannot check documentation with every release of operating system (twice a year), I trust you as a supplier. Cmon gostev, I follow your reddit posts, I know you are a wise guy, please understand that I choose an operating system, then what I use to back it up, not the other way around. 3.0.2 was released to fix 1903, why didn´t you release 3.0.3 to fix 1909. 1909 was released in November, "frozen" build was available mid october I think. I know that microsoft tends to break things from your point of view, but, you are selling products for their platform, you have to adapt, not them. Take a look at your competitors - acronis bundling bunch of bloatware with its products (still no synthetic backups for Home users), Macrium not supporting ReFS on server builds (ReFS was introduced when? with 2012? What year is it now?), and so on.

Once you were a company that released free things, offered NFR licenses, that´s how I got into business with you, I would never try Veeam without me trying your Agent on my personal device first, and I am sure there are many others that followed the same scenario. So I´d like to kindly ask you not to hide behind some policy, you were able to do it before, you could now. Somebody in your company meeting just said that V10/V4 is around the corner, screw it. You could release a new build in a second, you CHOSE not to do so, why? I dont know, maybe some new policies from your new parent company (naive speculation). I know that fixing something for free does not bring that much money, but when your users are happy, money will eventually come in, actions like these just tear your good image. Let´s do experiment that will probably get me banned but whatever, it brings in feedback so :). Let´s see what reddit and other your users have to say, at least I have some feedback too if what I am asking about is too much - www.reddit.com/r/Veeam/comments/eyumob/ ... atibility/

And on the last note, I am not saying that Veeam is the only affected product, I am saying that others chose to support 1909 (acronis in december I think), you developed a fix, and chose not to release it, willingly. See post above mine.

I have no problems with veeam whatsoever, its a great product, but you should know when it´s time to not go by your policies as you may be hurting your image by yourselves.

Regards, Alex
JPMS
Expert
Liked: 31 times

Post by JPMS »

I hate to say this but we've created recovery media on two different Windows 10 1909 PCs with VAW 4.0.0.1797 and both only boot to a dos prompt. We got around our current requirement by using recovery media created on a Windows server but I assume Windows 1909 should work fine as you had a patch for VAW 3.02. Haven't opened a support case atm as too busy getting to grips with other v10 stuff!
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

JPMS,

Can you please pass me the logs (either via case or you can simple share those via Dropbox/Google Drive)? If recovery media from 1909 has been created as an ISO can you please share it with me? Thank you in advance!
JPMS
Expert

Post by JPMS »

Hi Dima

What logs do you want? Just the UI.RecoveryImageWizard.log?

I don't have access to any file sharing programs so I'll open a case, refer to this thread and post the support ID here.

Cheers, Jason
JPMS
Expert

Post by JPMS »

I went ahead with what I thought you would want, if you need anything else, let me know.

Case #03991653
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Jason,

Thank you! We will review all the details with QA team. Stay tuned!
JPMS
Expert

Post by JPMS » 3 people like this post

For those who may reference this post, worked with support on this and I finally tracked the issue to Comodo Firewall. As well as the firewall it installs various other modules that prevent 'nasties' on a PC and it was one of those that was preventing the successful creation of a recovery image.

In case anybody else has the issue, when you want to create an image, disable the Comodo modules by right clicking on the Comodo tray icon, don't select exit on the tray icon. Exit doesn't stop the program, it justs exits the tray icon leaving the program running!
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Jason,

Thanks for you help with the investigation! We were suspecting the Windows 10 Insider Builds being involved in the upgrade procedure to be the root cause (but could not confirm such behavior in our environment), but third-party software blocking the proper way of RE component collection completely explains this issue. Cheers!
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Hi folks,

Veeam Agent for Windows 4.0 went live today and it fully supports Windows 10 build 1909. Feel free to download the latest version from the web site and update your current agent installation manually. Cheers!