Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
Poweruser
Expert
Liked: 12 times
Full Name: Poweruser

Feature: Delete after Taped

Post by Poweruser »

Hi!

What about auto deleting VM Backup files after they had been processed successfully to tape?
Or if Backup File Retention is 1, delete the current backup before starting the newest one.
Cause i keep everything on tape, disk backups are just a cache which massivelys kills storage space.

So it would be good, if the backup is deleted after the tape is written (optionally).
And it would be good, if during backup there would be only 1 file generation (the current) instead of current+previous.
so i get a low disk warning every backup with having about 70gb free, but after finishing i have 300gb free. which is plenty.
and last but not least, i would have much more space free, because i have one backup set for daily use and one for seldom use. which is nearly the same but one is online one is offline backup.
so it cant be merged, but uses 2x backup space instead of 1x.
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 680 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Re: Feature: Delete after Taped

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

Noted for discussion, however I see it as quite scary option, when 1 wrong click in a tape job configuration can lead to my main job's retention altering and backup chain loss.
Anyhow, your scenario can be easily scripted. Add a script that deletes restore points on disk and link it as a post-job script in Tape Job's settings.
/Cheers!
Poweruser
Expert
Liked: 12 times
Full Name: Poweruser

Post by Poweruser »

is there a way to delete all backup files automatically per job basis if i do a per VM file backup?
a function to enumerate all them instead of deletion *.* in the folder?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Only script set as a post-job activity might do the trick for you. Thanks!