Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
smartsys
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Jeroen Leeflang

DR configuration question

Post by smartsys »

Hello,

I have a question.
We have a client with an onpremise vmware cluster with shared storage etc...
A backup copy job is now made to a windows server that is offsite and has a folder shared and this share is added as a repository.
2 times a year a full restore test is performed at te remote location. A VMware host is presented and a Windows vm. Veaam B&R must be installed on the Windows VM, all data is copied to this new windows host from the same windows share used for the offsite backup copy job and all VM's are restored to this new VMware host. Everything is powered on and some basic testing is performed.
The last time this was tested there were lots of issues related to data corruption.
Now I was asked if things can be made more reliable and easier to performe the restore.

I was thinking of first create a normal repository on the remote Windows server instead of a SMB share. Enable health check on the backup copy job so data integrity is checked daily. Next I think of simply installing Veaam B&R on the remote Windows Server and create a repositoy that uses the same folder as the primary B&R server. This server had access to all the verified backup data and is only used to perform the half year restore test.
It is only connected to an esxi host that is made available during the restore and a DR restore test to this esxi host can be performed 2 times a year without having to copy all the data to a new to be installed Veeam server and thus creating the risk of corrupting the data while doing so.

Is this a supported configuration?
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2877 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: DR configuration question

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
even with several copies, it's not normal to end up with corrupted backup files. I assume that the hardware has some issues...
first create a normal repository on the remote Windows server instead of a SMB share.
that is definitely a good idea!
Enable health check on the backup copy job so data integrity is checked daily.
depending on your hardware, you might need to switch to weekly. But yes, health check is a good idea
installing Veaam B&R on the remote Windows Server and create a repositoy that uses the same folder as the primary B&R server
yes you can. You just need to make sure, that both always have the same version. I would also not connect the repository to the secondary VBR server. Just do that during restore.

Best regards,
Hannes
smartsys
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Jeroen Leeflang

Post by smartsys »

Ok. So. Just a small summary.

I just looked into the health check option a bit more and just now noticed it checks the latest restore POINT of a VM and not the latest restore FILE. So once a week should be sufficient.

We change the repo in the remote site to a "normal" repo with the Windows Server as a Transport Server role. All data handling in the remote site will be performed by this server. Speeding things up a bit, it is more reliable and it can be more secure.

We install Veeam B&R on that same server.
Just in case of a restore, we import the data used by the copy job. Link the temporary ESXi host to this B&R Server and start the restore.

We just have to make sure ALL updates with Veeam B&R on the primary server MUST be installed on the secondary server too.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2877 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Post by HannesK »

👍