Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
myFist
Enthusiast
Liked: 7 times

v10 RTM License: Getting, Updating, Expiration

Post by myFist »

Hello

Can someone tell us how to update our License for v10? Backup server does not have an internet connection.

Best regards
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: v10 License

Post by Gostev »

Normally, you just download a license from the Customer Portal. However, it will be updated to contain v10 licenses closer to GA only (which is Feb 18th 2020).

But based on the timing of your post, I assume you've received the RTM download link for partners. It actually contains a temp license file, among other files - please take a closer look.
HansA
Service Provider
Liked: never
Full Name: Hans Ashman

Post by HansA »

Is there a license available that also contains Cloud Connect? We have many customers that will want to upgrade about 5 minutes after GA is released and the prospect of upgrading multiple VCC environments on release is daunting. This is also compounded by the fact that many of them are running huge synthetic fulls over the weekend that will still be running on Tuesday or Wednesday. Being able to schedule a maintenance window later in the week is usually required to not cause job interruptions and not have a huge time interval where Cloud Connect jobs can't run.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Certainly. Veeam Cloud Connect providers can already download their v10 license from the Customer Portal.
DonZoomik
Service Provider
Liked: 120 times
Full Name: Mihkel Soomere

Post by DonZoomik »

Gostev wrote: Feb 03, 2020 1:33 pm Normally, you just download a license from the Customer Portal. However, it will be updated to contain v10 licenses closer to GA only.
I assume you've received the RTM download link for partners. It actually contains a temp license file, among other files - please take a closer look.
This temporary license will expire in 4 days - will real licenses be available in portal within that period or will another temporary be generated?
JPMS
Expert
Liked: 31 times

Post by JPMS »

I checked today and mine was available for download. Go to production licences and then select get licence key on the right hand side.
DonZoomik
Service Provider

Post by DonZoomik »

I only have 9.5u4 (and pre-9.5u4) available and it's not accepted by v10.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

DonZoomik wrote: Feb 11, 2020 7:55 pm This temporary license will expire in 4 days - will real licenses be available in portal within that period or will another temporary be generated?
Worry not, as there's also our usual 1 month grace period following the subscription license expiration... just in case it's our fault you didn't renew on time ;)
StephanF
Enthusiast
Liked: 19 times

[MERGED] v10 License expiry

Post by StephanF »

Hi,

the currently provided test license for the RTM build will expire on Saturday, 15th Feb. Will there be an extended license available before or the ability to create a real license for v10? It would be sad if the new version just stops working.

Thanks
Stephan
DonZoomik
Service Provider

Post by DonZoomik »

Gostev wrote: Feb 11, 2020 11:28 pm Worry not, as there's also our usual 1 month grace period following the subscription license expiration... just in case it's our fault you didn't renew on time ;)
Well it stopped working today with error that it doesn't support per-VM files anymore. I guess I'll create a support ticket to get it working again.
DonZoomik
Service Provider

Re: v10 License: Getting, Updating, Expiration

Post by DonZoomik »

#04006142 if there's somebody around to give it push.
FrancWest
Veteran
Liked: 93 times
Full Name: Franc

Post by FrancWest »

My RTM license also stopped working today, so no grace period:

15-2-2020 22:56:42 :: Error: Unable to use per-VM backup file chains due to a product license limitation.
ZeroCool_AT
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Rainhard DUMFART

Post by ZeroCool_AT »

Having the same problem...
As Veeam Partner I tried v10 and updated my enviroment "so I can support my customers on launch"...
but... license expired... no trial... no grace periode... backups failing.

Anyone got a "fix"?
JPMS
Expert
Liked: 31 times

Post by JPMS » 1 person likes this post

It looks like trial licences don't have the grace period that Gostev referred to. I suspect it only applies to normal licenses. I've already applied my own v10 license but can confirm that agents I had installed with the trial license are dead (no grace period).

I don't understand why I have a v10 licence in my portal when others don't. There is absolutely nothing special about me! I'm just a standard user.

Maybe someone at Veeam can upload a new trial key to the v10 portal while this gets sorted out for individual users. Bad time for this problem to occur, maybe future trial licences like this should expire on a Monday not a Friday when everybody is then off for the weekend.
DonZoomik
Service Provider

Post by DonZoomik »

Luckily my 9.5u4 environment still existed (turned off with all backups stored on different servers) as v10 was going to be a migration to merge 3 environments onto new hardware. So I spinned 9.5u4 up again, it's still running as v10 reset CBT and everything has to be re-read but at least I had something to fall back to. But yes, very unpleasant to have it expire on a Friday evening/Saturday morning - support also hasn't responded yet - licensing problems don't seem to have a SLA.
FrancWest
Veteran

Post by FrancWest »

Same here, also opened a case, but no response. I even selected the option ‘this license issue prevents me from making backups’ (or something like that).
DonZoomik
Service Provider

Post by DonZoomik »

this license issue prevents me from making backups
Same
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Sorry guys, totally my bad... I did not realize the license included with the RTM download was of "Evaluation" type :(

Having said that, as JPMS already noted above, we rolled out the v10 update to our Customer Portal one week ago, so since then you can just download your production v10 license from there. I double checked just now with my own account, and I see v10 license as an option.

Let me know if you have any issues with that, and I will notify the responsible team. Unfortunately, I have no rights to generate licenses, otherwise I would have attached a new one to this post.
FrancWest
Veteran

Post by FrancWest »

I only see the 9.5 Update 4 licenses and yes, I’m logged on as the license administrator.
DonZoomik
Service Provider

Post by DonZoomik »

Rechecked and still only 9.5U4 available.
StephanF
Enthusiast
Liked: 19 times

Post by StephanF » 1 person likes this post

I had the same problem that I could just download license file for 9.5U4 and I had a merged license. After undoing the merge I was able to download v10 licenses separately. Version 10 seems to accept installing several license files one after another.

Maybe this works for you, too.
FrancWest
Veteran

Post by FrancWest » 1 person likes this post

Thanks, that worked! I had to unmerge the license file, then the agent and enterprise plus licenses showed up separately and I was able to select V10... why doesn’t Veeam itself mention this?
DonZoomik
Service Provider

Post by DonZoomik » 1 person likes this post

Unmerging worked. However it license stacking didn't work so only one file is accepted at a time. It's good enough as for now my migrated system is covered by one sublicense.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Thanks Stephan for finding out the root case. I've asked the web team if they can make this part more obvious for the launch.
DonZoomik
Service Provider

Post by DonZoomik »

I'm confused now:
If you do decide to download the key manually: I'm hearing that if you have a merged Socket+Instance U4 license, you may need to unmerge it before you can see your v10 license (I already asked our web team if they can make it more obvious). As a reminder, v10 completely removes the need for license merging complexity, and just accepts both Socket and Instance license files separately. I've documented this and other licensing changes in the corresponding section of the What's New document, so I'm keeping it brief here.
I only have socket licenses but 3 instances of them. When I try to install them, they don't stack up in v10 (each new file seems to replace the previous one) so I still need merged licenses.
Ibeme
Service Provider
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Bjoern Ebner

Post by Ibeme »

I was able to download the Version 10 License into my B&R Console.
Unfortunatelly I can no longer login to my Veeam Backup Enterprise Manager after the trial license expired.

If I try to login I get the message "License is not installed or corrupted".
How can I update the License of the Enterprise Manager without loging in to the Enterprise Manager first?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

If both Enterprise Manager and Veeam backup server are on the same machine, then you can install a license key into Veeam B&R and it will be picked up by the EM. If you have a distributed installation, then as a workaround for the RTM version, you need to kill the registry with the license key on the EM and reinstall it. All settings of the EM are in the configuration database, so nothing will be lost.
Ibeme
Service Provider
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Bjoern Ebner

Post by Ibeme » 1 person likes this post

Veeam Enterprise Manager is installed on the same machine as Veeam Backup Server.
I already installed a license in the Veeam Backup Server but Enterprise Manager didn't pick it up.

What Registry Keys need to be modified to remove the license and reinstall Veeam Enterprise Manager?

Update:

After a restart of the Veeam Enterprise Manager Service it did pick up the new license.
But it would also be a good information what registry keys need to be modified when it isn't installed on the same machine.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Good to know that you're all set! Just in case, here's the key that needs to be wiped out on the EM machine:

Code: Select all

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Veeam\Veeam Backup Reporting\license
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

DonZoomik wrote: Feb 17, 2020 7:56 am I only have socket licenses but 3 instances of them. When I try to install them, they don't stack up in v10 (each new file seems to replace the previous one) so I still need merged licenses.
You can install 1 Socket license file and 1 Instance license file directly into v10. Previously, you had to merge them in the portal, which was causing many questions. However, because this is such a common case - most of our customers have a Socket license, and are buying an additional Instance license for protection of other workloads - we simplified it in v10.

Situations where the same customer has multiple licenses of the same type (for example, 3 different Socket licenses) are much more rare. In this case, you do need to merge them into the single license file in order to use them in the single backup server. This has been the case since v1, so no changes here. This is not something that can be easily automated on the product side, particularly because merging multiple licenses of the same type requires co-terming them. Which means new contract etc.