Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
Andreg
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Andre Gous

Oldest backup to tape

Post by Andreg »

Hi
Im new here,Please let me know if this is not the right place to ask these questions I've gone through the other questions , and could not find something related to my question.

So the scenario is: When creating a new Backup to Tape job is it possible to select the restore point to copy to tape/ or moving the oldest available backup to tape / instead of the latest backup ?
Almost like exporting a backup and selecting a specific restore point?

I am backing to a Exagrid disk appliance, and would like to keep 14 Daily's and 12 Monthlies on the exagrid and move older backups to VTL tapes with starwinds to MS blob archive storage
all of this works except i cant create a Backup to Tape job to move the oldest backup file to cloud VTL tapes.

Thanks
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Oldest backup to tape

Post by Dima P. »

Hello and welcome to the community Andre,
So the scenario is: When creating a new Backup to Tape job is it possible to select the restore point to copy to tape/ or moving the oldest available backup to tape / instead of the latest backup ?
Almost like exporting a backup and selecting a specific restore point?
For backup to tape job you select the entire backup job to be processed by tape and backup to tape will do the rest (basically it will copy all the restore points produced by the source job).
I am backing to a Exagrid disk appliance, and would like to keep 14 Daily's and 12 Monthlies on the exagrid and move older backups to VTL tapes with starwinds to MS blob archive storage
all of this works except i cant create a Backup to Tape job to move the oldest backup file to cloud VTL tapes.
If that's old backup files are full backups (i.e. vbk file) you can process those via file to tape job but do not forget to include vbm metadata file as well. Mind me asking what would be the backup mode for your disk jobs? Thanks!
Net Runner
Influencer
Liked: 2 times

Re: Oldest backup to tape

Post by Net Runner »

If I am not mistaking starwinds VTL has this functionality within their cloud replication mechanics. Check this guide https://www.starwindsoftware.com/resour ... d-storage/ section "Configuring cloud replication". In order to specify different behavior for Daily's and Monthlies, you can use two separate replications procedures.