Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Mgamerz
Expert
Liked: 28 times

V10 upgrade installed Community Edition (license auto update issue)

Post by Mgamerz »

Case #04012014

Just upgraded to V10 and it offered to upgrade automatically for me to the new v10 license format. Apparently it failed (i never got any indicator of this) and I was downgraded to community edition, and the licensing portal does not have a way for me to generate V10 licenses (only 9.5 U4) even though I am still under support. The V10 UI does not support installing a 9.5 license, says I need a V10 one. Called support and they're getting me a temp license to use, but just a heads up for any other early adopters.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6725 times

Re: V10 upgrade installed Community Edition (license auto update issue)

Post by Gostev » 1 person likes this post

Sorry to hear, you should have gotten an error message for sure (I proofread them, so I know they exist). We will research your case to understand what happened. It would be helpful if we could get setup logs as well, our support will provide instructions how to get those.

In general, things are looking good overall from this end > License requests from v10 setup (green stuff)
Some invalid licenses or cases unsupported by automatic license upgrade (yellow), but this was expected.

I'm sure our licensing support folks will be able to fix it for you quickly.

For those who have not upgraded yet - as a safeguard, you can always download the v10 license from the Customer Portal manually prior to performing the upgrade.
Mgamerz
Expert

Post by Mgamerz »

No problems. I got a temp license and then licensing unmerged my licenses, which then worked. It seems that licenses aren't merged anymore in v10? I can just install two license files, like the good old days of 9.5 pre... uh... update 4? 3 maybe? The licensing page UI is much clearer about licensing like it was back then too, I appreciate going back to the old UI.Veeam also boots noticably faster with the console on my laptop. I look forward to trying some of the features out like the memory-based cache used with instant recovery you spoke of during your talk today.
john_wood
Veeam Software
Liked: 19 times
Full Name: John Wood

Post by john_wood »

Veeam also boots noticably faster with the console on my laptop
Just one of the many features that slipped under the radar with V10

Buried in the What New in V10
Console startup time: Backup console should now open more than twice as fast
John Wood
Solutions Architect | Australia & New Zealand
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Mgamerz wrote: Feb 18, 2020 10:41 pm It seems that licenses aren't merged anymore in v10?
That is correct, we removed the need of this license merging complexity completely in v10. See the Licensing section at the end of What's New in v10, there are many good changes there!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev » 1 person likes this post

So, the root cause of this issue was merged U4 license that incorrectly (and unexpectedly) had Instances field populated with zero. The license update server did not see any issues with that and returned the corresponding v10 license, which is why you saw no errors. And the product decided to treat such an unexpected license as a Community Edition license.

As a result, we're making the following changes:
1. We ensured there are no more contracts with such an unexpected licenses exist.
2. We're adding an extra check to the license server to make sure 0 instance licenses are never returned under any circumstances. The server will return an error in this case instead.

With that, we should be able to consider this issue closed.

Thanks again!
Mgamerz
Expert

Post by Mgamerz »

Cool, thanks! Glad I could help on this :D