Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
ThomasDeVit
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Thomas De Vit

Azure backups

Post by ThomasDeVit »

We are interested in getting Veeam to backup our ESX host cluster (3 hosts attached to a Dell Unity SAN, we have Azure blob storage and recovery vaults available, so I would like to know if the following if possible: we currently backup full VMs with Microsoft DPM 2019 and replicate backups to a recovery vault. Doing it this way, when performing restores we can choose the backup location (either local on the backup server or in the Azure Recovery vault) then restore to our on-prem cluster.

Is the same possible with Veeam? If I replicate my local backups to Azure, can I restore on my on-prem cluster
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 683 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Re: Azure backups

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

Hi Thomas.
Yes you can, you can even run Instant VM Recovery on local cluster from backup stored in Azure blob!
/Cheers!
ThomasDeVit
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Thomas De Vit

Post by ThomasDeVit »

Hi Egor,

Sounds great, can you set up retention policies too?
Would you be kind enough to point me to th eVeeam documentation for that scenario?

For DR purposes, do we need to backup and replicate the Veeam server too or make a SQL bakup?
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 683 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

Sure.
- Azure blob integration is done via Capacity Tier configuration. Of course you can set aging and retention settings there.
- As for Veeam Server backup, you can use built-in Configuration Backup and Restore to restore configuration on a fresh Veeam installation in case of disaster, or Backup Veeam using Veeam(image level VM or agent-based Veeam Agent).
/Cheers!