Dr.Gerry
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Gerry Locke

Orphaned Snapshots

Post by Dr.Gerry »

Our Veeam One is reporting orphaned snapshots - specifically

"This VM is running on the snapshot left by backup or replication job"

I have gone into the VSphere client, Snapshot Manager, and there is no snapshot showing for this VM. I then 'resolved' the alarm and a couple of seconds later it popped up again. I checked the most recent backup job for this VM, and I can see that it successfully deleted it's snapshot at the end of the job.

As usual, I'm guessing the main problem is either that I have missed something or I have misunderstood something. Can anyone point me in the right direction please?
nielsengelen
Product Manager
Liked: 1177 times
Full Name: Niels Engelen

Re: Orphaned Snapshots

Post by nielsengelen »

Most likely you will have to consolidate the snapshots related to your VM within the vSphere UI. Did you check if you have the consolidate option and if so, try this to see if it resolves?
Personal blog: https://foonet.be
GitHub: https://github.com/nielsengelen
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Post by Shestakov »

By the way, what threshold do you have in the mentioned alarm?
Dr.Gerry
Enthusiast

Post by Dr.Gerry »

According to the snapshot manager, there are no snapshots. I checked the datastore, and there are no -000x.vmdk or -000x-delta.vmdk files. There is no 'consolidate' button in the snapshot manager, and I have turned on the 'needs consolidation' column on the display, and every VM says 'not required'. The threshold for the alarm is 1 hour, and the actual warning I am seeing says the snapshot is 14 hours old.
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

In this case I would contact the support team to investigate the issue.
By the way, what product version are you at?
Dr.Gerry
Enthusiast

Post by Dr.Gerry »

Version of Veeam One is 9.5.4
Dr.Gerry
Enthusiast

Post by Dr.Gerry »

I just went to lodge a support case. I entered the Support ID as displayed in Veeam One. Our support is valid until 21/12/2021, but when I enter our support ID in the Support ticket I het a message telling me the Support ID Canot Be Found.
Dr.Gerry
Enthusiast

Post by Dr.Gerry »

This is now becoming a bit of a saga!! I work for a local council that is in the process of being merged with 3 other councils. It looks like the new managers are trying to consolidate the separate Veeam licensing that all of us had, but in the process, the new IT manager has designated himself as the only person who can lodge support requests. Grrrrr........hopefully this will get sorted soon.
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

Gerry, yes you need to have permissions to open the support case. Whereas your company license is valid.
Dr.Gerry
Enthusiast

Post by Dr.Gerry »

Thanks. I have asked the I.T. manager to update my permissions. Unfortunately he's a busy guy.....
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

Great. Once you open a case with support team, please post its number here for future reference.
Thanks!
Dr.Gerry
Enthusiast

Post by Dr.Gerry »

Well this is kind of embarrassing......

Turns out that I had missed the big orange bar just below the toolbar that said 'config errors'/ The particluar config error that was causing my problem was 'virtual server connection failure'. Looks like VeeamOne was reporting on it's most recent data, but the data it had was a bit old. I don't know why there was a connection failure, so I entered a different set of credentials, which successfully connected, and all of the 'orphaned snapshot' messages went away.

Unfortunately the next day I got another connection error.....so I put back the original credentials, and got connected again. However......today we have a connection error again.

I'm pretty sure that the problem is somewhere within our VMware environment - we have a strange issue where when you try to connect to VSphere with a web browser it ALWAYS fails the first time, but then you do it again and it goes straight in. It's like there's a service or something that doesn't wake up in time. I'm guessing that this is causing VeeamOne's connection problems. I have opened a support case with VMware.

So thanks for all the replies everyone. Sorry that I have lead you all up the garden path!
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

Thanks for the update, Gerry!
Once you have news or question to us, please write it here.