Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
iroche
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Ian Roche

Surebackup query

Post by iroche »

I have created my first Surebackup job and it works perfectly apart from the shutting down once complete. The job sits at a state of "Ready" , the option to keep the app group running is not selected. All tests that run as part of the Surebackup job complete and I get the verification email. I want to schedule this to run nightly but obviously have to address this issue as this process will lock the vbk file so the backup will fail if the surebackup job is running. Any ideas what it could be .... I cant see any other parameters which would be related to this apart from the one already mentioned.
ThomasMc
Veteran
Liked: 19 times
Full Name: Thomas McConnell

Re: Surebackup query

Post by ThomasMc »

I had this as well and it was due to my config of the backup job linking/app group and sure backup job itself, could you maybe elaborate on your current job setup please.

This was how I had mines setup
iroche
Enthusiast

Post by iroche »

ThomasMc wrote:I had this as well and it was due to my config of the backup job linking/app group and sure backup job itself, could you maybe elaborate on your current job setup please.

Sure the actual job contains one VM (Domain Controller). This runs nightly at 22:30. One App Group created using the vm mentioned, One virtual Lab created which is running correctly. I have linked the relevant machine in the "Backup Jobs" tab and edited the parameters role choosing DNS and DC .Send email is selected and confirmed working as well. I have not set any schedule on this job as of yet.
ThomasMc
Veteran

Post by ThomasMc »

Ok try this

edit the Appgroup and select the DC, now click the edit button and set it to DC,DNS,GC and click OK and finish, now edit the SB Job and on the linked job bit remove the DC as the app group is already defined and rerun the job
iroche
Enthusiast

Post by iroche »

ThomasMc wrote:Ok try this

edit the Appgroup and select the DC, now click the edit button and set it to DC,DNS,GC and click OK and finish, now edit the SB Job and on the linked job bit remove the DC as the app group is already defined and rerun the job

I had just tried this after reading the post you linked to and bingo ! works a treat . Quick question if I want to create more Surebackup jobs should I create seperare App Groups and virtual labs for each job I create?
ThomasMc
Veteran

Post by ThomasMc »

Re: App Group - only if you need to, the app group is what your other VMs "Depend on" to be up and running for them to do they're bit. I only have one app group with 2 DCs in it as they are required in my SB job, each SB job has the app group listed and powers it up and shuts it down as required

Re: Virtual Labs, again if you need more than one virtual lab then you could add it but isn't necessary I suppose it would allow you to run multiple SB jobs.
iroche
Enthusiast

Post by iroche »

Sounds like a sensible approach... Cheers for this one you can mark this ticket down as resolved ;o)
ThomasMc
Veteran

Post by ThomasMc »

That last bit should have read "run multiple SB jobs simultaneously" and glad your all sorted :)